• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Will Aqamai replace ecotech?

The new Aqamai stuff looks really nice and does pretty much everything the ecotech stuff does at a fraction of the price.
I understand the patent Ecotech has is running, or ran, out, so will we see a whole new crop of smart designs at much reduced prices as the free market gets involved?
I just bought a MP40 not long ago, but looking at the new Aqamai,which is Hydor hi end( think Toyota/Lexus) I would have definitely bought that one if it was available to me at the time.
Their lights look pretty nice too!

Also it seems the market is filled with gear that is rebranded or borrows gear from other companies, slaps a new sticker on it and calls it its own design.
You see this alot in pumps, especially skimmer pumps, that use other companies gear, slap a sticker on it or change a color, call it their own,but we all know it is what it is....
Sort of like a merging of companies products to meet all price points, not necessarily designed at different price points , but packaged for different price points.
There is definitely a quality difference in let's say a Chevy, to a Mercedes, to a Pagani, as well as price difference commensurate with the quality level, but in aquarium gear it seems not so...you could pay 100, 200 or 300 for the same pump with a different sticker on it...
Of course this is an exaggeration, but to make the point
lines get blurred, unless you look carefully, look at the new Red Dragon dc pump, is it really a red dragon?
Is a red dragon really a red dragon, or is it a askoll? Do we get blinded by the sticker?
It seems they are pushing marketing more than innovation at times, and brands, instead of developing their own gear, just borrow others designs and repackage them as their own, in order to seem like they are keeping up.
Just a few thoughts for a friday night............................

mike

Just checked them out. Not a fan of the wavemaker. I HATE wires in my tank haha. If the wire was outside, I'd be in!

Patents usually last about 20 years. Not sure how old the Ecotech patent is.

julie

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The new Aqamai stuff looks really nice and does pretty much everything the ecotech stuff does at a fraction of the price.
I understand the patent Ecotech has is running, or ran, out, so will we see a whole new crop of smart designs at much reduced prices as the free market gets involved?
I just bought a MP40 not long ago, but looking at the new Aqamai,which is Hydor hi end( think Toyota/Lexus) I would have definitely bought that one if it was available to me at the time.
Their lights look pretty nice too!

Also it seems the market is filled with gear that is rebranded or borrows gear from other companies, slaps a new sticker on it and calls it its own design.
You see this alot in pumps, especially skimmer pumps, that use other companies gear, slap a sticker on it or change a color, call it their own,but we all know it is what it is....
Sort of like a merging of companies products to meet all price points, not necessarily designed at different price points , but packaged for different price points.
There is definitely a quality difference in let's say a Chevy, to a Mercedes, to a Pagani, as well as price difference commensurate with the quality level, but in aquarium gear it seems not so...you could pay 100, 200 or 300 for the same pump with a different sticker on it...
Of course this is an exaggeration, but to make the point
lines get blurred, unless you look carefully, look at the new Red Dragon dc pump, is it really a red dragon?
Is a red dragon really a red dragon, or is it a askoll? Do we get blinded by the sticker?
It seems they are pushing marketing more than innovation at times, and brands, instead of developing their own gear, just borrow others designs and repackage them as their own, in order to seem like they are keeping up.
Just a few thoughts for a friday night............................

mike
Awesome info! I've been checking out heaters and controllers for our new tank. Very timely information

I know! the only deal breaker is the wire in the water, but the market has just opened up, so let's see what comes down the road.
Tech seems to be moving pretty quickly for this hobby.

jmags080307

SPS Grow Out Winner
Gonna have to check aqamai pumps out. At $120 for a fully programmable powerhead, that's tough to beat. Can't justify dropping $350 on an ecotech.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I am a hiker, for the longest time we had to deal with Goretex as the only waterproof material incorporated into clothing.
While Goretex claims to breathe, it does, but just a little which is a bit better than a plastic bag! It is great for golfing, hunting, sailing, sports where there is little aerobic exercise going on, but for hiking we suffered.
Goretex held the patent and it stunted the development of better materials.
Now the patent has run out and all sorts of new and vastly improved materials are hitting the market.
So maybe something like that will happen here?