• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Windows 7 OR 8??

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Unfortunately it looks like I will have to purchase a new PC in the next day or 2. The question is Windows 7 OR Windows 8? I heard a lot of people not liking 8 when it came out. Was this just due to change? Now that they are used to it, is everyone liking it better?

myrjon

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
ii bought a new laptop threw in a new hard drive and installed linux as my main system . dual boot into Win7..

I agree it appears Win 8 is a memory hog ...worse then Win 7. So if you don't get a touch screen it isn't worth it.
There are a lot of new all in one computers, including a 27 in Lenovo that are portable ... like giant tablets. I understand there is going to be a new Win 8 version in October I think that should run better FYI.

TanksNStuff

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I agree it appears Win 8 is a memory hog ...worse then Win 7. So if you don't get a touch screen it isn't worth it.
There are a lot of new all in one computers, including a 27 in Lenovo that are portable ... like giant tablets. I understand there is going to be a new Win 8 version in October I think that should run better FYI.

+1 I agree with everything James said. There is no benefit to Win 8 over Win 7 unless you have a touch screen monitor. If you don't have a touch screen, Win 7 will give you much better performance and since it's been out longer will have less bugs. Don't pay extra to be a Beta tester for microsoft. ;)

Always follow the unwritten rule of microsoft OS's since windows 95:
every other one is good or at least tolerable.

8 = garbage
7 = good
vista = garbage
xp = good
Millenium = garbage
98 = good (built off the 95 engine for the most part, only added USB support, multi monitor, & active desktop as it's "big new features")
95 = One of the most stable of all time.

Always follow the unwritten rule of microsoft OS's since windows 95:
every other one is good or at least tolerable.

8 = garbage
7 = good
vista = garbage
xp = good
Millenium = garbage
98 = good (built off the 95 engine for the most part, only added USB support, multi monitor, & active desktop as it's "big new features")
95 = One of the most stable of all time.

You know it is really funny in a sad way that this is true. I have always skipped the bad ones I guess partially by chance and partially using that rule.

Tazmaniancowboy

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Pretty funny how everywhere I ask it still is almost 50/50. I asked the same thing of my Facebook friends and still finding the same results. I also watched a comical review on YouTube saying it actually slows people's productivity. I can see that.

I never realized that cycle of good vs bad releases, but I was lucky enough to fall into the good every time. As much as I would like to play with it and form my own opinion to see what the controversial reviews show, I am surprised I can still get Windows 7 so I would rather get that. Like George said, why should I be a beta tester at my expense! Thanks for the replies guys, feel free to continue this thread if anybody else has an opinion.

windows 8 is fine. you may just have to relearn how to do simple things like search for applications. i have a touchscreen and win 8 on my notebook but never use the touch screen because it has a keyboard. i went from xp to 8 and it basically the same thing as long as you have the full version of 8 not windows 8 RT. id rather be on 8 just for software and compatibility purposes in the distant future.