• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wireless printer recommendations

a buddy of mine did a blog review of this one...he and his wife liked it. This was last year mind you - so this model may no longer be around...

product review: hp c7180 photosmart wireless printer

so you have the wireless laptop, wireless networking, you even have the wireless mouse, but yet you physically have to plug in a printer cable to a printer to be able to print? what a pain.

they came out with the wireless adapter that you can attach to most printers to wirelessly print, but it's awkward, it looks weird, and just doesn't function that well.

the wife and i have always talked about that one special day where we would junk our stoneage printer and purchase a true, built-in wireless printer.

after going over many many online reviews (cnet, macworld, etc.), we decided to take the plunge with this little bugger. isn't she beautiful?

hp c7180

it's the hp c7180 photosmart all-in-one printer. it's worked beautifully, even better than we expected. when you take the plunge with new technology, it's a calculated crapshot guess. you just don't know if everything will work the way you want it, but i think this bugger is pretty good.

the set up instructions are clear, and it took less than 5 minutes to set up. the LCD screen is nice and beautiful, and it even tilts upward. the printer has a separate computer inside of it and it basically walks you through the setup process. interacting with the LCD screen/computer is odd at first because I'm not used to my printer being able to process things and communicate, but it's reassurring because it's very deliberate and clear.

apparently people purchase the photosmart printers because they like to print pictures at home, it does that well but it's not a high priority for us. the main functions that we wanted were the wireless printing, scanning ability, photocopying. it also comes with a fax function, but we don't have a landline so it'll probably never get used. the printouts are crisp and clear, both text and photos.

it doesn't take up too much space. it fits nicely on top of our mini rolling file cabinet. it has separate slots for 4x6 photo printer, and separate slots for regular printer paper. it also has separate memory card slots where you can do the usual: insert memory card, view pictures on LCD screen and print pics without needing to connect to the computer. you can hook up multiple laptops to securely print from the printer.

all in all, it's our new beautiful baby. it's made life much much better. go hp...