• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Woke up to a cloudy tank today - I hate Hydor PH

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Well I have 4 Koralia 8's running my DT. One of them snapped off at the magnet piece and went bottoms up.

The tank is as cloudy as it can be. Sand over all the rocks some corals. Yikes!

I am just concerned that the corals might burn. Starting the dusting process now but I need to get to work also :(

Never , Never again will I buy a Koralia.

Sunny

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
Had the same thing happen many times. I tried to save money on the Koralia's but killed more corals and ended up costing me more.

that stinks sunny. Hope everything works out.

i have a koralia nano pump for my bc29...dang i might have to look for an alternative. I'm hoping to start up the bc29 again. Shhh...a 120 and a bc29...oh the insanity.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Thanks guys.

Just got back from work. The tank looks to have cleared up a little. There is a film sand on the front glass. I will start to clearup the corals next :(

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
This is bad :(. The skimmer is going nuts. It must be the gunk that flared up from the sand. The nitrates are OK though.
My 8 inch Clam is half open. I just gave him a bath in the tank water, kinda rinsed him.
I notice a film of sand on the back wall as well. That would be tough to clean-up.

Oh well :cold:

Sorry to hear this Sonny. Try a turkey baster for delicate corals. Hopefully, most will be ok if it was just a light dusting.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Thanks Nikki. The tank is 80% cleared up now. I got the rocks out (ones I could) and washed them off in the tank water.
The corals look fine so far. The polyp extension is normal. The clam is closed now since lights are out.

Will check tomorrow....

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
that stinks sunny. Hope everything works out.

i have a koralia nano pump for my bc29...dang i might have to look for an alternative. I'm hoping to start up the bc29 again. Shhh...a 120 and a bc29...oh the insanity.

I will never buy a Koralia again. BC29 is a good idea. Go for it Phil.

so you're in the market for pumps? definitely check out either vortechs or tunzes. I'm a tunze fanatic myself, but then again I use a canon. HAHAAHA. (i know you use a nikon). Anyways most everyone i talk with love their vortechs also. I think the ONLY complaint I ever heard (minor quip) was that the vortech added a wee bit of noise. I checked it out - the tank was in the living room and it added a slight increase in noise as it did the reef crest mode.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
so you're in the market for pumps? definitely check out either vortechs or tunzes. I'm a tunze fanatic myself, but then again I use a canon. HAHAAHA.

LOL. Phil I like the vortech as well. However a price of $795 a piece is an over kill for a PH IMO. The hydors are quite but I think vortech make the same amount of noise.

buy USED! The warranty will cover both used and new.

Although if you go the tunze route - note that the 6000s/6100/6101 etc are no longer made. So service is limited on those products. i just got the tunze 6105 (replaced my old 6101 which broke) and it is sweet, swivel head and mounted via magnet.

Sorry to hear about this sonny but it sounds like everything is ok. I have tried both tunze and vortech and I have to say that i like tunze much better. I like the ability to adjust the ph in many directions. Plus the vortechs are much nosier imo. I picked up 2 6305's and 2 6301's for my new tank. If you want to borrow one to try out and see if you like them just let me know. The new tank won't be here for another 3 weeks.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
Sorry to hear about this sonny but it sounds like everything is ok. I have tried both tunze and vortech and I have to say that i like tunze much better. I like the ability to adjust the ph in many directions. Plus the vortechs are much nosier imo. I picked up 2 6305's and 2 6301's for my new tank. If you want to borrow one to try out and see if you like them just let me know. The new tank won't be here for another 3 weeks.

Thanks you so much for the offer Steve. I am not looking to change immediately. I still need to do my research.
Can't wait to see your tank progress....