• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wood For Stand Advice

I figure that pressure treated 2/4 would be stronger than any other wood for the stand. What does everyone else think?

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A duglas fir 2x4 is the same strength as douglas fir pressure treated lumber.

I've built 2 stands and always used regular 2x4's. I got them from Home Depot. I think they're Spruce-Pine-Fir

That is good to hear. i will be starting my new stand tomorrow.

The stuff about reefs I can rush is my own laziness!

Has only put the plywood on the bottom to be the total length of the stand or just cut out the 2/4 slots and drop it in? I was afraid the weight would kill the plywood on the bottom if it sits on the plywood.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Don't buy the kiln dried wood. It's too hard to work with.(too dry) It splits and cracks easy. The kiln dried would be the almost white 2x4's

Pressure treated wood use to have arsnic in it to prevent rotting and bug damage, dunno if it still does. I wouldn't want to put that around any livestock. Can't help but think that it would fume up a little. Great for deck posts and fences though.

IrradiatedReef said:
Pressure treated wood use to have arsnic in it to prevent rotting and bug damage, dunno if it still does. I wouldn't want to put that around any livestock. Can't help but think that it would fume up a little. Great for deck posts and fences though.

Is the pressure treated wood the one that feels wet ? ive been using the 2x4's labeled "KD DF" in home depot.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The old PT wood was green. They came out with a new PT wood that is a light green and drier with no arsnic in it. I'm not sure what the DF means on the Kiln Dried since I stay away from all KD's.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Mike, please tell me you think it would be safe to use the new tye of PT wood around a tank! I just (like an hour ago) finished building a stand for the 125 I picked up. It's got PT 4x4's for legs and PT 2x12's for the top. I'd REALLY hate to have to take it all apart. Especially since HD doesn't sell non-PT 4x4's or 2x12's.

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Was it the new PT or old? The old is dark green and wet. The new is light green and drier. My HD only sells the new. Hope it's a regional thing.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm pretty sure it was the new stuff. It is much lighter (in color) than that old kind.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mikem said:
No problem then. Lets see some pics. of the progress.
Phew! I really didn't want to have to rethink/rebuild the entire thing. I'll post some pics tonight. I have to clear the debris from around it first.

I'm off to Lowes again to get the parts to plumb it into the system. This ought to be fun. Somehow I see a bigger pump in my future!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
So if a little sawdust ended up in say... 55g of freshly mixed saltwater would you toss it or use it?

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
it probably has some other vile chemical in it anyway. Our guess was to toss it. I just hate doing that with 55g of water.

Better safe than sorry though!

mikem

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Depends how much sawdust too. The new lumber is complety safe for life forms. Was at a Builders confrence a few months ago and the topic was PT. wood and the Co. that makes it. There was a $600 million dollar law suit against them from the parks and recreation developers. The CO. paid $100 million in damages and were to put the other $500mill in a new product which is supposed to be 100% safe. Only 20 years will tell.