• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Worried about my caps !!!

My green cap and my red cap seem to be losing there color, infact the green looks tan. there also seems to be some brown algea on them and some of the other corals. My parameters are phosphates are 0.01, nitrates between 0 and 1 . mag about 1450, kh 7.5 alk 2.63 ph 7.4 calcium 480. any ideas ???

Thanks in advance Chuck P.

john90009

NJRC Member
Was your alkalinity higher then dropped down to 7 because that would have caused it, changing alkalinity's take a tole on corals and usually end up int he coral loosing its tissue. Also is it just your monti caps that are looking different?

yes the caps ,,, the only other things is that we had two pieces of efflo , one is dead the other is turning brown also but not yet dead. thanks

john90009

NJRC Member
Id say changing alkalinity's could be causing it, Did the other elfo have its skin peal off? Also check for a monti eating nudibranch. I doubt thats the problem because the monti cap qould have been gone by then if it was them.

john90009

NJRC Member
How long have you had the caps, Do you know what the lights were that they were previously in and the position of the caps in the tank?

HAD THEM about 3 months, they were under the same amount of light in tthe previous tank. they were in similar or slightly less flow. and they were about the same placement maybe an inch or 2 higher in the tank.

john90009

NJRC Member
Hmm im out of ideas maybe alkalinity shifting or a ph shift, Possibly if you have been changing phosban after awhile of not changing it maybe it drooped phosphates to fast. Sorry im not an expert im surprised no one else has chimed in. I had a "green cap" well it was sold as a green cap but was always tannish green with a purplish blue rim.Its been growing but never colored up while everything else is colored.

Has your PH always been 7.4? seems low to me.

is that nitrate reading correct? That's fantastic but it seems too good to be true.

Any pics? might help.

it has been higher but not much, i seem to have trouble since trying to dose. but like i said i only do it when levels permit. as far as nitrates , yes its usually like that. I only have 8 fish all small except a 4 inch tang i try to do about 40 gallons a month my total volume is about 275 gallons .

Maybe you should raise you PH it seems too low. I started in 02/20/2008 with a FOWLR that had a low PH then when I started to add coral I had a few problems because of the low PH. I started to use Red Sea Coral Pro salt and dose two part now my PH maintains around 8.3/8.4 Good Luck and happy reefing.

Hey chuck, the pH is a little low, raise it up by using a kalk drip. Also, try to keep the dkH at 8-8.5, I was using baking soda for that, sorry to hear about the efflos. No need to worry about monti nudi's, and redbugs don't affect caps. It looks to be some kind of water related issue. Lastly, if the colors seem to be like they are fading, try feeding the fish more. Corals need some kind of organics too- that worked for me as well as amino acid dosing.