• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Would this be a good system, or...

Subliminal

NJRC Member
would it be way too little light for a 55 gallon setup that I'd eventually like to stop with corals? Any suggestions on a route that'd be better?

http://www.hellolights.com/362x39wt5hor.html
lamps-now_1938_7046604

Subliminal

NJRC Member
Yeah. I have a Seaclear acrylic tank, which has a 'hood' which houses a 36 inch flourescant. Just one of them, and that's all that's in the hood. It's 36x10ish. I guess I'd probably be better off building something that extends the entire length of the tank.

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
A good rule of thumb is 4 watts per gallon. There's a whole lot surrounding color temp and par value, but 4 watts per gallon is a good start.

You could try t5's,you can get them from reefgeek.com. It would allow you to keep most corals, including some SPS.

revclyburn

ice cap 660 ballast is a must! they have retro kits with that ballast too. I have 4 (48") lamps over a 90 and am getting plenty of light because that ballast overdrives the lamps.