• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

would this work?

I want to start aquascaping a new tank with old dry rock and was wondering if I
1, soak the rock in bleach and water
2, put it in a oven to heat it up and dry it out
3, drill rock and install plastic rods

would i be ok? Years ago I had a fish only tank(back when i thought it was cool to have white rock) I would bleach the rock and then let it sit in the sun for a few days before returning it to the tank. I never lost any fish but just wanted some opinions from some members. Has anyone tried this, or is there a better way? :-\ ???

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I've bleached rock and then soaked it in a dechlorinator for a few days and had no trouble using it. I've never tried putting it in the oven to dry it out though.

why not soak the rock in old tank water with a pump for a week or two to jump start the curing process? This should also lessen the toxins (if present) in the rock through diffusion. I would change the water every few days with siphoned tank water. Perfect excuse for a water change too!

I wouldn't bake it, it smells, and yes, I've done that before. What were your thoughts on baking it? Dry it up faster?

concept3 said:
why not soak the rock in old tank water with a pump for a week or two to jump start the curing process? This should also lessen the toxins (if present) in the rock through diffusion. I would change the water every few days with siphoned tank water. Perfect excuse for a water change too!

I wouldn't bake it, it smells, and yes, I've done that before. What were your thoughts on baking it? Dry it up faster?
... the heat would make the chlorine(bleach) dissipate faster

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Leave the rock out in the air and the chlorine will dissipate in about 24-36 hours.

Ive bleached my rock and then let it sit out in the sun and dry up and then put it in a bucket with saltwater(from the water change i just did) and let it circulate with a powerhead for a week or two and then put it back in my tank and had no problems. Also you said a new tank? if you have nothing in the tank then you can just put it in and it will help your tank go through its cycle.