• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Wrasses

I think I'm developing a wrasse addiction. :) Before I add anymore I was hoping to get some feedback on keeping multiple male flashers or fairies together. I have a 120 gallon reef that has a trio of dispar anthias, midas blenny, blue spot jawfish, and a male carpenters wrasse. Looking ahead I'm considering adding one or more of the following: lineatus fairy, rhomboid fairy, red velvet fairly, bipartitus leopard, and line-spot flasher. Any there any concerns with housing them together in a tank of my size. I see some warnings about keeping flashers with flahsers or fairies with fairies, but also have read that it isn't a problem with the species that I mentioned. Anybody have experience with mixing these?

I can speak with personal experience that multiple fairy (cirrhilabris) can go together quite well. I have C. rubrisquamis, C. aurentidorsalis, C. solarensis, C. lubbocki. I also have a flasher, and another flasher that jumped out. Also, I had a C. adornatus in there with the other cirrhilabris. In addiction to those, I have 2 leopard types: Macropharyngodon Geoffroy, and M. meleagris, as well as a couple halichores representatives, a mystery wrasse, and a cleaner wrasse.

I am HEAVILY addicted to wrasses.

howze01

NJRC Member
I can speak with personal experience that multiple fairy (cirrhilabris) can go together quite well. I have C. rubrisquamis, C. aurentidorsalis, C. solarensis, C. lubbocki. I also have a flasher, and another flasher that jumped out. Also, I had a C. adornatus in there with the other cirrhilabris. In addiction to those, I have 2 leopard types: Macropharyngodon Geoffroy, and M. meleagris, as well as a couple halichores representatives, a mystery wrasse, and a cleaner wrasse.

I see what you did there!

Thanks I can see that I might need a bigger tank if I follow this path. :) How is the mystery wrasse? Ive read that they can be little buggers.

Thanks I can see that I might need a bigger tank if I follow this path. :) How is the mystery wrasse? Ive read that they can be little buggers.

While he certainly not a model citizen, I think Mystery wrasses get a bad rap. Mine does no damage, no nipping either, and is not particularly aggressive towards anyone. (they are more "sneaky" though"). This may also be because I have a "boss wrasse" in the tank that keeps everyone in line. Jacinto, my Vrolick's wrasse, seems to have taken it upon himself regarding keeping the peace amongst all the wrasses.

I have loved the wrasses that I have had 4 line followed by a mystery wrasse. Between them I no longer have any hermit crabs, emerald crabs or little shrimp. Otherwise peaceful.