• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

yellow tang

has anyone ever tried feeding romaine lettuce to tangs? i tried a little piece and my tang is taking it. i wonder if this is a bad thing to do for the fish or for others (corals). would it cause nuturion spike in the water or any other problems? obviously, it wouldn't be a natural food source for tangs....

anyone. nathan?

Yes I feed it to them all the time....very reluctantly. The tangs LOVE this. I mean they really LOVE this. My hippo and yellow can go through about 3-5 leaves a day. The limitation is how often I put it in. They are very disappointed when I put in nori or worst yet...kombu. They hate me if I try to give them kombu (will refuse all seaweed for days after). They feed the tangs romaine lettuce at seaworld but is it recommended? No. It has little to no nutritional value but what can I say. It keeps them happy. There are probably some impurities being added to the water (pesticides perhaps unless you are buying organic, etc.). Nori is cheaper and better for them.

Jay...buy the red nori that is unseasoned and dried, not toasted. The brand is korean and only english word on it is Seoul (importer is in Brooklyn). I can only find this in NYC chinatown but maybe you can find it local. It's $6 for a big package.

ahh... they don't like to go back to nori. okay. got it. i probably will not do it again for a while and nori is usually what he gets every couple of days. I'll keep that in mind.

in terms of nutritional value. why would dry nori be more nutritional than fresh veggie that would have vitamins....? am i missing something?

MadReefer

Staff member
NJRC Member
Jay,
What I have read and was told is that dried Nori has more nutritional value than fresh romain. lettuce. Some where on the web there was an article that broke it down.

Mark

Some nori has a lot of nutritional value. Problem is most of these are roasted and they usually don't like it. Romaine lettuce is mostly ruffage for people so nutritional value, though higher than iceberg, is not so great.

Nori every few days? I would give him a little more often than that.

The nori is a better choice for nutrients. On the other hand when you see how crazy your tangs and some other fish get when they see romaine you can't not feed em it! All my fish go nuts and school up by my feeding clip when they see me walking by the tank with the romaine. When I first got my naso it's all he would eat. Love the romaine!!