• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Zips new frag/qt tank

Well I have had my old 10 gal nano serving as my frag qt tank. I have been informed that the piece of counter is being taken by eminent domain via my wife. So i need a new location we have at out house a utility section about 4-5 feet tall. It is here that I have begun my relocation and size increase to 29 gallons. It will have a bare bottom, a floor grate, reef rock and a top edge grate.

Here is where I amimage.jpg image.jpg

Here is where I am to goimage.jpg

Here is what I did today. Thanks to the boards here I used a mason drill bit and Made frag holes where I wanted with a diameter that will accept the plugs I will use.

image.jpgimage.jpg

I made sure my rock scape fit the bottom grid. This lower grid will sit on PVC pipe 1/2 inch high.

image.jpg

Now I built my upper level. The center is cut out to allow access to all that is below.
image.jpgimage.jpg

Lighting is from a Chinese led fixture I had that was unused. I am using two hang on aqua clear pumps. Total rating is for a 50 gal tank. These will be at opposite (left and right) sides of the tank. A koralia pump will add flow. Water changes will be 10-15% weekly. No skimmer, yes to carbon and phosphate binder. Get more up tomorrow.

I think you need to move the laundry room to the basement and make the other room your fish room. Just demand it from your wife, I'm sure she won't mind.

Just saw the rack. Very nice. That rock is awesome. Drill holes in it for frags just makes it even better.

redfishbluefish

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
............ Water changes will be 10-15% weekly........

Now I know nothing about frag tanks, but is 10-15% a week really necessary? There are no fish crapping up the place, so I could think nitrates and the such would remain low. Just curious.

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Now I know nothing about frag tanks, but is 10-15% a week really necessary? There are no fish crapping up the place, so I could think nitrates and the such would remain low. Just curious.

I do 10% weekly in my frag tank as well. It's more for replenishing trace elements and such more that nutrient removal. I do dose but very little. I'm a big proponent of frequent water changes on any system.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Do a search for black egg crate and see if you can find it. People seem to have better luck with it as far as algae growth goes. You don't need to replace it now but down the line you might want to.

Very nice. Sometimes being banished to the basement is not so bad... Out of sight out of mind :sly: I try to hide but the family always finds me haha j/k

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Tapatalk 2

Basement is not so bad. you saw where my tank was :). Wish i would of put sound dampening in the ceiling though. That way when she calls for me i dont have to make believe i couldn't hear her :)