• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

$1,500 for one eye of a chalice

The going rate for that if you are lucky is 15x less in this club. Should send that guy to the BBB. I hate when people take advantage of others like that..

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I bought some coral from him at MACNA and it was actually a great deal, the price of this chalice was set after several ebay auctions went for $1500 to $2000 an eye.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Buffalowing said:
yes 2 eyes of that sold at Macna for that price I believe.

That is correct. There is also a group of 10 people on another forum that bought 3 frags of Jason Fox's chalices for close to $4000 to attempt a "growout". Its beyond insane!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
mnat said:
I bought some coral from him at MACNA and it was actually a great deal, the price of this chalice was set after several ebay auctions went for $1500 to $2000 an eye.

I bought several chalice frags from him at Macna too, and they are amazing and IMO worth the price, as they were $150/frag, not $1500. He did have the "My Miami" and "Crazy watermelon" that were indeed $1500 and eye. After Macna WWC auctioned one off on EBAY that went off at $2000.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I got six heads of Captain America Palys that go for $90 a piece from Tyree and you have to wait for $200. I have just found it amazing that prices on almost all new corals/fish come down over time but not on the chalices. I even saw a poor mans my miami chalice frag on another site for like $100 that was probably $30 before it became famous.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Well right now Chalices are the "craze" among reefing. Unfortunately alot of them take a long time to growout and this is probably a main reason as to why you dont see the price drop as fast. If they grew faster like zoos or acros there would be more frags available thus bringing the prices down.

Eventually the prices will drop, as the market becomes flooded with more and more frags, as it basically comes down to simple economics eventually.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
dnov99 said:
Eventually the prices will drop, as the market becomes flooded with more and more frags, as it basically comes down to simple economics eventually.

That's what they said about acans and I don't think that ever really happened!

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Phyl said:
dnov99 said:

That's what they said about acans and I don't think that ever really happened!

You think?? I actually think acans have come down alot. I have seen frags that used to be $20 and $30/head that are now $10. You can get some huge acan colonies on Aquatic Auction for alot less than they used to be. But I know what your saying it definitely has taken a while for that to happen.

I get it, it is a rarer coral and they take forever to grow, its nice looking but I've seen corals that cost 50 bucks that have deeper colors and are more attractive to the eye.