• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

10 gallon aga

What is the best way to filter a 10 gallon AGA nano? Are there HOB overflows for a tank this small? Or just drill back with bulkheads and strainer intake?

You really do not need to filter a tank this small. You can use the natural method and just use water changes to remove the dissolved organic waste. The key is lighting and water movement. What are you using for lighting?

Agree that you dont need a filter as long as you are vigilant with water changes.

2g/week should be very easy.

But if you want a filter I would look into a Hagen Aquaclear 110 (the largest model). It is easy to convert that into a mini refugium as well which will help with filtration, nuisance algae and cultivate some little critters for you.

Easy modification, just a few simple steps.

Personally I wouldnt go all out with drilling and plumbing a 10g unless it was a permanent fixture...in-wall tank or difficult tank (SPS, clams)

JMHO

I took the plumbing off my AGA 15 gal tank and am using a Whisper 40 for mechanical filteration with Pura Complete and Chemi Pure in it. I also use a Maxi Jet 900 for very nice movement and surface break. Since I got rid of the sump and started using the HOB filter, my water became crystal clear and my Ph issues went away.

For lighting I was going to go with outer orbit 70 watt hqi with moonlight hood shoud this be enough for anything I want to put in tank?

Not sure what im going to keep yet but want to be abe to keep anything in the future.. So will this be the best thing to use or is there something better?

The only thing that would concern me with a halide over a 10 gallon tank is heat. As long as you keep it high enough off the water and have good air flow, I would say that it would be a great lighting system.

I use PCs on my 15 nano and it powers it up very nicely. I have the coralife 24" system. 65 watt 10k, 65 watt antinics, and 2 moonlights. I get great growth throughout my tank. Digi is getting very fast growth. I have tried to put in zenia twice and it melted both times! :eek: Hard to get nice shady spots in the tank for it to acclimate.