• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

10 gallon rimless (fun starts now) with pics!

Well i bought a 10g rimless for 30 bucks so i had to make it salt so here is my start. After doing some research i started to buy some items. Since everyone love pics i took some with my phone so dont be mean ;D

Ok where to start I spray painted my stand today :-\
0214001517.jpg

Ok there's the stand well then i was thinking of spray painting the background of the tank but instead i bought a piece of plexy glass and attached it to the tank! (My local hardware store cut it for me so 0 work on my part!
here is the tank
0214001704.jpg

Here is the plexy glass spray painted
0214001518.jpg

Here is tank and glass
0214001707.jpg

Here are the filter and heater i bought:
0214001716.jpg

Here is the light i bought: t5's baby

0214001717.jpg

Ok well thats it for the photos tommarow i will add sand and water to tank.

I will let that run for a while on wednesday my rock for marco rocks should arrive ordered 25lbs will probably only use 15

Lets see did i forget something o yea Korlia 1 should be arriving soon.

All comment aprreciated thanks

O i bought it and spray painted it. I wish they sold it buy with regular spray paint it looks and works great

is the painted plexi going inside the tank? is there any worries of the paint leeching into the water? just thinking outloud.

It is actually painted on one side and the the un painted side i glued to the tank because it is see through ;D

I was thinking for sand should i go with the super fine stuff? Or should i just the the regular live sand?

I found the very fine sand was too fine and would not settle down tending to burry anything I placed on the bottom once you get some flow going in there fine sand could be a pain. I'd go a hair coarser.

Thats what i was thinking too. My rock i ordered off of marco rocks should be here today and my koralia tommarow, So tommarow morning i should be setting up my tank i will also be stopping at my LFS to buy sand.

DanJ said:
Thats what i was thinking too. My rock i ordered off of marco rocks should be here today and my koralia tommarow, So tommarow morning i should be setting up my tank i will also be stopping at my LFS to buy sand.

Be sure to rinse the Marco Rock very well, then rinse it again. Also do plenty of water changes after adding it and before adding any life. I've seen enormous amounts of PO4 leech out of dry base rock. In your small volume you can not afford any PO4 leeching off the rock.

I litterally used a pressure washer for the first rinse with regular tap water, an RO soak and then into SW with skimming. Yes, with skimming, and the dead rock will produce crazy skimmate at first. Or at least in my experience with it it has.

ROCKS HERE AND I LOOKS AWSOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!! ;D
0218001853.jpg

So tommarow after work to clean it! Yay and then saltwater in Tank!

I cant wait!

Maybe even tonight i might wash and then RO water soak!

WATER ROCK & SAND in the tank!

Spent all last night washing the rock then it soaked in RO water all night. Bought live sand. And threw it all in the tank!

Here are the pics!
When i first added water.

0219001223.jpg

Then two hours settled =)

0219001357.jpg

All opinions are welcomed and thanks for everyones help and now the waiting game starts. Puting my koralia in tonight its at my freinds house it is the nano one. Hopefully it is good enough!

Did i forget something?
???

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Very well done, can't wait to see how you stock it. That is always the most fun!

Yea i love the whiteness of it i kinda want it to stay that way =) ;D

Yea the stocking i dont know what i am going to do. I will probably go to LFS and say thats cool and buy it :p

Take your time...let it cycle properly and make a plan for stocking.
1)clean up crew
2)fish
3)type of corals
Remember other then the upgrade ;D you have a limited amount of room...even when you buy the 100+ gallon tank you end up full of stuff and say how did that happen. ???

LOL that seems like too much effort tho! Its so much easier like in a month going to a fish store and saying o cool i want that fish and buy it!

LOL well i would love one true percula clown, a bicolor blenny and a cleaner shrimp! I have been thinking heavily on that.

For cleaning crew i was just thinking about a mix of snails(like 10) ! and like 5 blue legs. maybe a reef lobster like i have in my other tank because all it does is hide and when i feed it jumps out like a manic and scares my firefish and eats and then hides again.

What do you guys think?

Hopefully theres no clown police here LOL
I have the Tang one on me already... :eek: