• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

10g rimless tank(NEED HELP!)

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The good news is that you don't need a filter and a skimmer. You can get one or the other. What are your plans for the tank? What fish/corals do you want to keep in there? If you are going to have a light bioload and easy corals (softies zoas) you can probably get away with the HOB filter. If you are looking SPS/LPS you might want to go with the skimmer. The Oceanic skimmer is pretty awful and I would say a waste of money. There are not that many nano skimmer out there that are good. You could look at the sapphire skimmers for nano tanks. Unfortunately they are supposed to go inside an all in one system.

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Sapphire

Lighting will again depend on what you want to do with the tank. What are the dimensions of the tank?

Just an idea ....
You can get a piece of acrylic cut to the width of the tank and run it as an all in one . You can make your own baffles inside to your sizes,and fit the skimmer that mnat suggest along with a small fuge,media,mechanical,heater,etc.. . Making the area yourself lets you decide what you wish to keep and hide it all behind the wall.. You can get the acylic off ebay,cut to size for about 10-20$ . Have him cut the baffles also. Cut the teeth yourself ,add a pump and you have your filtration and flow(depending on pump) .Silicone will hold it together since there is no preasure.If you put it on ashort side you can now view the tank from three sides,nice to do with a small tank.
Check out my build thread in nano section and go on rc nano's do-it-yourselfs for alot of options . Easier to do than it seems,I did it ;D.

And for lights go t-5. They will give you a nice option in what you can keep.
Just an idea...

I bought that oceanic skimmer last year. It worked really poorly for me.
I also tried the Nano Fission Skimmer, that did not work for me either.
I gave up and finally purchased an AquaC Remora skimmer.

Regarding HOB filters, I had ok luck with a Marineland power filter for years before upgrading to the Remora skimmer and removing the HOB.

for the light if you know a good priced t5 light please share and thanks for the opinions but i was thinking of going simple like a decent light with filter and like one small clown and a shrimp and few mushrooms/zoas

For the filter still really confused tho on what i want.

Welcome and please slow down.
You can run a 10G tank but take a few hours to read as many threads as you can before you make a decision.
I started with a 10G algae tank then a 24G AP and am up to a 120G...which I have zero regrets about. The same cannot be said for the first two. That said you may like or be limited to that tank.
But please take your time.
T5 lights are the way to go. My major complaint on my 24G AP is that it has power compacts.
If you get a 4X24 inch fixture you will be able to keep just about anything in a 10G, that is reasonable for that tank plus will be usable later on for a bigger tank.
10G is hard to control water parameters and with the same work you can get a nice tank like a 40breeder.
10G just doesn't give you any room for substantial fish.
What I would suggest is working backwards.
Figure out what you want to have in your tank and how big it needs to be.
If you want the clown and a shrimp then a 10G is fine...if you find yourself dreaming of a trigger fish I see a huge 180G in your future. Other fish will be somewhere in between.

NikkiT, mnat, and qwik all have nice nano's so check out what they have done.
The other solution I like is a hang on back refugium combined with water changes instead of a filter.
Anyways welcome and glad to see you asking before buying.

Thanks well i have a 55g with tons of corals very success had for about 2 yrs now and running strong i bought this 10g just because it was onsale and it is rimeless and beautiful so i am doing this as an expiriment i am looking on buying a larger tank too but i am waiting for a good deal or saving some some until i find a great tank at a good price but i will post photo when i start the tank and get some more info while i go on with it.

My next question is what do you think about the korlia nano for it? Will it be too strong because i see alot of korlia nanos in biocubes?
Or could it be not enough?

Next is also would you recommend sand? Black or white? Or crushed coral.
In my other tank i have plain LFS bought live sand should i do the same again?

And the the powercompacts i did the same thing on my 55 which i agree with you they suck and i spent too much money just to sell them off.

The hang on the back refrigiums i was looking at were expensive like 150$ Does anybody ever make one themselves? I was also thinking of goin bioballs in a regular filter with a plain sponge in it and buying a skimmer.

Thanks

We have a koralia nano in a 12g, good amount of flow for a small tank. I used a Koralia 1 in the 20g before replacing it with an MP 10.
If you are going to be adding on a HOB or refugium with carbon and/or phosban in it, I have successfully kept 10g tanks that way for years with light stocking (generally, two fish and 2-3 shrimp). I'd suggest avoiding the bioballs, I found them to be more trouble then they were worth.

Regarding sand, I had lots of detritus trapped in the crushed coral sandbed when I used it, but have had good success with both argonite and sugar sand.

I have to say nothing simplified my upkeep more than adding a skimmer. Do I have to keep an eye on element concentrations to make sure the skimmer doesn't strip them too much? yes. Do I have to constantly worry about ammonia, nitrates/nitrates? No. If you elect to run a skimmer, and the skimmer is doing is job, you shouldn't need a HOB.

I currently run my 20g with a skimmer and HOB refugium I purchased from someone else on this board.

I set up a 10g nano for my Aunt last year with HOB filter, pm if you want the details/mainenace schedule, she keeps a pair of clowns and some shrimp, pretty similar to what it sounds like what you would like to do with your 10g.

OK yah got me ;D, didn't realize you already kept tanks so makes a ton of differece. I would still do a HOB fuge or a decent HOB skimmer....your choice with a fuge you can hide the heater there. Usually you can find one used.
And T5.
Tiny skimmers are a waste of money I had a nano fission...might as well as put 20 bucks in the lotto.

i would love to have that schedule that your aunt has

And the lotto i have put a ton of money in the LFS lotto. When they tell you ur tank is perfect and you buy some damsels and they live and you buy a 80$ tang and it dies in 2 days =) And then you buy a eel and it kills all your fish. But the real lotto is great too. I could of bought 5 tanks already without that lotto.

Yea well i will start and tale of the tank and you guys can guide me through and have you guys ever spray painted the back of your tanks i am thinking of buying paint tommarow?

Any suggestions?

Thanks