• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

12 gallon JBJ

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
My fiancee and I have pretty much only kept nano tanks up until this point due to size limits of our apartment and not owning a house yet. I recently purchased the JBJ 12 gallon and it is really an amazing tank. I would highly recommend it, you can pretty much do anything but sps and corals.

I currently have

Mated pair Black and white clowns
Orchid dottback
Mated pair cleaner shrimp
Frogspawn 2 heads
Duncan 2 heads
Ricordia
5 zoa polyps
3 feather dusters

Tank looks amazing and the water parameters are excellent.

Would recommend looking at petstore.com they have the tank with stand for under $200

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
front.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
front1.jpg

IMG]http://i567.photobucket.com/albums/ss113/mandrieu/duncan.jpg[/IMG]

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
New pics, corals from OGII and Mr. Coral. Christmas favia, northen lights acan and purple and gree acan.

corals.jpg

duncan2.jpg

pacan.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
After hosting the feather duster for a number of months my one clown now host my Devils armor.

clownzoa.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I pulled out my sand bed because it was too chunky and was getting a lot of things trapped in it. Put in a new live sand bed.

corals2.jpg

i spy a bumble bee snail. im not 100% but im pretty sure those are predatory. anyways it is looking great, when are we upgrading? ;D

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
You are correct that is a bumble bee snail, I have not seen them eat anything in particular and they stay hidden most of the time. At the moment we have this tank, a 20g a 30g and two 5g quarantines setup. We are limited on this setup until we move into a house and then the fun begins.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Here is a nice shot of my fools gold zoas from G corals

foolgold.jpg

Here is a nice shot of an acan and my new chalice from trop.

chalice.jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Hola amigos I know it has been awhile since I rapped at you, but things have been getting pretty hairy around here, literally. I was fighting a large outbreak of hair algae in the 12 and then got super busy at work so it was more of a maintenance job than actually trying to solve the problem. At the same time my zoa colonies were growing fast so I was not to worried about the water quality. So I finally got some time and made some changes.

1st: Pulled out the sponge and put in live rock rubble
2nd: pulled out all the ceramic rings and bioballs. Now I know I have told everyone else to do this but had not done it myself. This was a great decision, they were covered in gunk, I wish I had taken a picture to warn the rest of you it was that bad. Then I used a gravel siphon to pull all the junk that had settled down in the chambers.
3rd: After reading that the stock pump only does roughly 100g an hour I knew I needed to increase this so I added a Koralia nano which adds roughly 250g of flow.
4th. Pulled out the affected live rock with hair algae and gave it all a good scrub.
5th. Cut down feeding. When we had five tanks up and running we would feed twice a day to make sure everyone was getting fed. Now we have three tanks and feed once a day. We are also using Rods reef instead of SFB mysis for now. It seems to be working and the fish look great. Also, we feed the 30 g first instead of my tank, we originally did it this way because my fish were never sick and we did not want to spread disease to my tank so we fed healthiest down to quarantine. The 30g also has a sweet skimmer and refugium on there to help with filtration.

So how does it look now? You be the judge.

fts12part2.jpg

Zoa colony that started with like 20 polyps, now over 100.

zoacolony.jpg

Took the frogspawn out and added a dendro.

dendro.jpg

I hope this helps my fellow nano peeps out there.

Tank looks awesome dude. i like that acan. i had to do the same deal with the live rock. pulled out all the b.s bio crap in the back and scrubbed my rock down....helped alot. wanna frag a brotha off some of them zoas?haha

why put live rock rubble where the sponge was? this is the same as using bio-balls as it traps stuff. just put the rubble into the display, in a 12 gallon tank it will do the same thing.

IMO you feed to much. i feed every 2-3 days or so in a 85 gallon. it is also a good idea to pre-rinse any frozen foods in RO or tank water before feeding using a fine mesh net.