• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

120 gallon journey begins. Part #1. Used Aquarium.

Ok, folks.
The journey begins.

Got a hold of a used 120 to start me on my way to keeping my own reef(s.)
I was looking for a good amount of volume (100+) for a fair price, and I found one.
Knowing beforehand that this tank previously held a savanah monitor I knew a reseal wasn't even an option. Ive seen those claws. ;)
I, also, took a gamble in the scratch department, and this one has plenty, so, instead of a viewing tank, it's going to become a 120 gallon glass sump/refugium.

Keeping this in mind, and not getting ahead of the game, my first plan of attack is to remove the top and bottom plastic frames.
Some pics below, but some thoughts:
-Black silicone is, in my view, weaker than the standard clear stuff. Not sure if it was the lizard, or the material, but, it was eeeeasy to get off. I could "roll" it back on the bottom seal, with my fingers, if that tells you how weak it was getting. Lizards are no joke.
-SUPER easy to scrape off with a sharp razor blade and one fluid scrape....dont do the "small back and forth" approach for the large passes. Get in to the glass and one steady push. It comes off cleaner this way.

-Wondering if acrylic is OK to use for a glass sump. Im thinking it is.....but im no pro.......Make things a LOT easier as far as customization and weight.

-Ill shut up. Pics.

Oh, and discussions are always welcome. So are money, time, marriage, and home saving tips. ;)

Dont know what this tool is called, but, former homeowner left it for me. It was a sign. It worked marvelously for the task at hand.

Attachments

• toolrool.jpg
    toolrool.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 34
  • tank1.jpg
    tank1.jpg
    158 KB · Views: 34
  • tank2.jpg
    tank2.jpg
    146 KB · Views: 34
  • tank2a.jpg
    tank2a.jpg
    155.5 KB · Views: 34
  • tank3.jpg
    tank3.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 34
  • tank4.jpg
    tank4.jpg
    166.7 KB · Views: 34
Ok, folks.
The journey begins.

Got a hold of a used 120 to start me on my way to keeping my own reef(s.)
I was looking for a good amount of volume (100+) for a fair price, and I found one.
Knowing beforehand that this tank previously held a savanah monitor I knew a reseal wasn't even an option. Ive seen those claws. ;)
I, also, took a gamble in the scratch department, and this one has plenty, so, instead of a viewing tank, it's going to become a 120 gallon glass sump/refugium.

Keeping this in mind, and not getting ahead of the game, my first plan of attack is to remove the top and bottom plastic frames.
Some pics below, but some thoughts:
-Black silicone is, in my view, weaker than the standard clear stuff. Not sure if it was the lizard, or the material, but, it was eeeeasy to get off. I could "roll" it back on the bottom seal, with my fingers, if that tells you how weak it was getting. Lizards are no joke.
-SUPER easy to scrape off with a sharp razor blade and one fluid scrape....dont do the "small back and forth" approach for the large passes. Get in to the glass and one steady push. It comes off cleaner this way.

-Wondering if acrylic is OK to use for a glass sump. Im thinking it is.....but im no pro.......Make things a LOT easier as far as customization and weight.

-Ill shut up. Pics.

Oh, and discussions are always welcome. So are money, time, marriage, and home saving tips. ;)

Dont know what this tool is called, but, former homeowner left it for me. It was a sign. It worked marvelously for the task at hand.

Awesome! Please document the reseal as I maybe doing this type of project in the future! Definitely following!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

diana a

Staff member
NJRC Member
Ryan

I wonder if it was the high temperature of the heat lamps for the monitor lizard that caused the silicone to peel so easily? How scary of a disaster that could have been if was filled with water! One reason I only buy new tanks. I wouldn't know if the silicone is sealing properly on a tank.

Hope to learn "how to" during your adventure! If I get brave enough, I could reseal the 90 gallon tank I have in the basement. It was only used as a fish tank but worry about the seal since it has been dry since September when my son emptied it.

@diana a .....good thought. I'm not too hip to the temps that heat lamps put off, but, judging that the worst looking seams were at the top of the tank....you might be on to something. Its not like silicone to 'peel up' so easily. Black type or not. Either way.....I'm not concerned one bit. A reseal will do it fine. Its had many different duties, and was a bit tired, but, the glass is still 3/8 tempered glass.....
I was thinking about laying it on its side and getting a replacement side panel; with the thoughts of making it shorter and wider. Better for what I have in mind. This tank will be perfect for that.

No worries, folks.....I'm still on the hunt for a display tank.
Too much interest in that Elos tank, @Sunny . No way someone didn't seal that deal by now. That's a great price.

In an ideal world, Id like my display tank of the 'long' variety. at least 24" deep. No more than 36" high. 200g + preferred. I could fit a 10 footer in my LR. Easily. And, I have a garage behind the wall. That, apparently, I have the go ahead to make into a 'fish room." Man, shes going to regret that. :) [And an empty basement]
Which is another story. Personally, Id rather go thru the floor than a wall but the distance and pump(s) and plumbing gets more complicated because of the distances involved.

Most likely, will go new for the main display, but, I'm always sniffing around for (nice) 180+ tanks. Longer the better. Closer to me the "awesomer."

Man, I cant wait to get going on this stuff. I'm anxious be be a more active member of the community. Hopefully I can make you all proud.

Going to keep this particular thread about the tear down and reseal of this used tank. I plan on opening another "tank hunt" thread soon. Have those screaming leads ready to fire off. If that free 180 on CL wasnt so far away, it'd be in my basement right now. ;)

Stay Tuned, folks. More to come.

julie

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll be certain to do so. I, almost, feel duty bound to contribute to the community, considering how much knowledge I've stolen from you all already. ;)
That's why we're all here! We learn from each other.

I'll have an update soon.

Panels are prepped for reseal and I got a hold of a friends 125g free-of-charge, so, things are starting to get off and running.

I'll have pics (maybe a vid) on progress ......stay tooned.

*QUESTION*

anyone here have FIRST HAND experience with siliconing acrylic to glass?

acrylic would be so much easier to work with.

erics210

NJRC Member
*QUESTION*

anyone here have FIRST HAND experience with siliconing acrylic to glass?

acrylic would be so much easier to work with.

I have, BUT I did not run it from edge to edge. Mine was perpendicular pieces. I used Glass for the straight dividers/baffles.
Glass cutter is a few dollars and glass can be had pretty inexpensively. Worst case bring it to a glass shop and have them cut and refine the edges for you.

The reason I used Glass for baffles was SOMEWHERE I read......The Plexiglass can swell after long exposure and crack the glass side panels.
Not sure if this is true, BUT why take the chance when glass is pretty easy to work with.

horseplay

NJRC Member
The regular aquarium silicone does not stick to acrylic very well. I used glass baffles for my sump. You can get it cut at a glass shop for a reasonable price.