• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

120H 5 footer

Here it is! Its was set up yesterday. A big THANKS! to Anthony & Terri(adesimone) for spending half a day setting me up. Its a Marineland 120H with black silicone & dual 700gph overflows, 38 gallon sump/fuge, AquaeuroUSA 150 skimmer, 2 Mag 7's, & Oceanic fluorescent light fixtures(temporary). The overflows gargle. I didn't take into account the loss of flow do to head pressure. A mag 7 with a 5 foot head is only 420gph. I will upgrade to 2 Mag 9.5's. this will stop the gargling and Ill have crazy flow.

Your welcome. It looks good :) I bet you changed it 4 times. The only suggestion I would give you to get more height out of the rock try to place the rock so you get more caves between the pieces. Fish love caves they can swim in

Nice setup for sure. The gargling/flushing/annoying noise might be from drain pipes that are not straight etc. How about a sump picture....a lot of us are very interested in equipment. Less flow will be quieter not louder generally speaking.

They told me to try n match the pumps to the overflows. Mag9.5's have 750gph at 5 feet of head loss. I can dial them down with the valves a little. Currently the water line in they overflows is rite at the hole in the PVC. every 20 seconds it goes over the hole then instantly flushes. bigger pump would keep the water over the holes..

so im told, I am no expert. I just started in this hobby. but it sounds lke this will work.

Hey thanks for all the pics :), I think almost everyone has to figure out how to "dial" in their sumps.
I am using one Mag 12 on mine. (120 4x2x2ft) My problems were a few actually. First I used flexible tubing for the overflows so with a bend in the tubing it would "flush", I don't know if it would do that with the right angles you have or not. Second the Mag 12 produced a waterfall effect that was pretty loud (open tank no hood) so I ended up dialing it down by splitting it off to run a reactor and using a ball valve (just slightly).
I got good advice from the guys at AO to try to regulate the air going into your durso pipes. They use a air valve on theirs you might give it a try. Now the tank is fairly quiet, no flushing(got rid of the dips), and regulated the air into the durso pipes. Guess my suggestion is to try and monkey with things to see what works for your particular plumbing....my solution was sort of the opposite of what you are thinking...but it might be completely correct.

Hey guys. Just added some mineral mud and LR rubble to the fug this week, and a domino damsel to help cycle. picking up more sand, fuge light, and some macro algae today. Anyone want to donate to the UckoMacko's refugium fund??? Accepting donations of Chaeto and Caulerpa. lol Anyone close to 08086 that could spare a cup or 2 of macro algae?

Uncko Macko said:
Just added some mineral mud and LR rubble to the fug this week, and a domino damsel to help cycle.

For future reference - a damsel or other fish is not needed to cycle a tank. Cycling involves building the bacteria needed to help break down harmful ammonia/nitrite. Rather than subject a fish to this treatment (and also the pain of trying to pull a territorial fish, it's easier to just use a piece of raw fish or shrimp you can pick up at the local supermarket.

New fuge light fixture, mineral mud, and chaeto.
100_0379.jpg

100_0378.jpg

New LR rubble
100_0381.jpg

100_0382.jpg

New Domino
100_0376.jpg

New "cookies n cream" sand
100_0340.jpg

Random
100_0345.jpg

I picked up some fish this weekend. 1 more Zebra Blenny and a Arc Eye Hawkfish. They acclimated damn near instantly. I was worried about the blennies not getting along. I read that they dont get along with fish with the same body shape. BUT, the get along great. The 2 blennies where "dancing" about 2 minutes after I put the new one in his new home. The videos where taken with my cellphone, sorry for the quality.

So far I have been choosing my fish for there personality. And man, they have a ton of it. My blennies are like little puppies. Always coming up to the glass to say hi and put on a show. The new Arc Eye is great too. He swims around alot, skips from rock to rock and even seems to hang out with the blennies. He is really cool looking. Lots of color around his eyes and looks like a goatee on his chin.

100_0438.jpg

100_0437.jpg

100_0435.jpg

100_0436.jpg

100_0433.jpg

Its time for an update. I have a few new additions. here is an updated list

Golden Moray Eel (Thanks to ADesimone1 for the heads up)
Wolf Eel
Harlequin TuskFish....Blue teeth!
Red Sea Niger Trigger....Red teeth! I call him Dracula
ScorpionFish.... Great addition, real cool looking(better than the pictures I've seen). Awesome to watch hunt.
Volitan Lionfish
Green Brittle star.

I may have to give up my Niger Trigger. He has been harassing my Lionfish ever since I brought him home.

I started a thread about saltwater feeder collecting at the shore, planning on live feeding as often as I can. The trip has a buzz going with it. Set for the 26th. http://www.njreefers.org/joomla/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=26&topic=18853.30
Check it out.

Just got called into work....Pictures up soon