• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

150G rebuilt/reset - lesson learned!

Inverts can't handle any medication or copper so if you ever treat the qt you will kill them. I would setup a tiny invert only qt. 1-2 pts a day is fine but spread out, not all at one time per day

I wont be treating the qt with hypo or copper since the hippo tang I have there looks clear of any parasite, just got him yesterday and will observe for a couple of weeks. The salinity in the DT is at 1.025 and will lower to 1.023 tonight.

What would be my target for hyposalinity, what number?

Yes it is very low, that is why the ich dies. No extra feeding needed but feed something nutritious like mysis shrimp. Def do some research.

I was reading online and the best less stressful method is the hyposalinity, will begin the treatment right now. Not all fish have visible spots at the moment, but will submit all of them to the same treatment in the main tank.

I started the hypo, went from 1.025 to 1.020. Read that lowering the salinity at any specific rate is not a big deal since I dont have corals. Will take all the fish out from main tank once I get the 40g breeder. Should I keep normal salinity in main tank after I put the fish in the qt? Will the free floating ich die since there's not fish to host?

I just realized that my qt is a 20g long, Petco has a $1 per gallon coming up this week; will purchase a 40g breeder.

Last edited:
I've been treating ich for the past 6 weeks with hypo, thinks aren't looking that good. Within the 6 weeks period I tracked the pH and the lowest it got was 7.8 which still within the good threshold and the salinity was constant at 1.010 with weekly 15g water changes. I have raised the salinity slowly within a week period and its back to 1.024 from 1.010. During the hypo treatment some of the fish look really bad and lost two of them, not sure if because of the hypo treatment or the combination of ich and stress. 6 weeks later and two dead fish I still see some traces of ich in the powder blue tang, the other fish look beat up but no sign of ich on them; pretty sure if the tang still has it they all have it.

Not sure what the next step would be for treatment, should I do copper treatment? or just acclimate them to the main DT and let nature take its course? I wouldn't want to lose more fish to ich, can someone please give me an advise of what other treatment or step to take to get the fish(s) healthy again.

Thanks in advance for your input.