• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

2 part or cal reactor?

I only have about 100gal total volume 90gal display 20gal sump minus rock and substrate. I’m sure I can just pick up a dosing pump and let that do it’s thing always mixing 2part and worrying about a overdose of either alk or cal and haveing problems As for a cal reactor I don’t know to much about. Cost of up keep what I need to get going and all that stuff.
So I was hoping to get some info here
Is it easier to have a cal reactor?
What’s the upkeep cost?
Is it worth having with my size volume?
Can I have a calcium over dose if something isn’t right?
Anything negative about having a cal reactor setup?
It will be a mixed reef mostly SPS though
Thanks for any feedback

2 part has a cheaper start up cost but can get expensive if you have dose a lot but depends on your tank stocking.

Calcium reactor has a high starting cost but cheaper running costs. Calcium reactor is a more involved set up over 2 part.

I use 2 part on my 225 right now I am dose a 100ml of calcium and alkalinity a day of b-ionic. Never had a problem with overdosing. It's important to get a quality dosing pump.

Last edited:
Been running calcium reactors for years. Low maintenance and once it's dialed in, maintains calcium and alk as well as any doser. I'm running a procal reactor from MTC (a jersey based company in Midland Park) with ph controlled by my apex and a carbon doser regulator. The system is fed by a lab grade peristaltic pump (ANKO mityflex 913).

High cost to get it set up right and takes a little time to get it dialed in, but once it's settled, you can't beat it for efficiency. Plus it adds necessary trace elements that aren't necessarily present in dosing solution since you're using natural coral skeleton vs a lab created substance.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

iTzJu

Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
calcium reactor - currently using Korallin C1502, carbon doser regulator and PH controlled by my Apex. I have a masterflex peristaltic pump as well but will eventually be changing it out to Kamoer pump.

I will be eventually switching out the Korallin to a RO-CR100 or If I ever get the chance to repair my Aquamaxx.

but as @Labridaedicted said, calcium reactors are efficient. ever since using it, i will never go go back to dosing on a long term basis.