• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

20 Nano in Maplewood

My first time starting a reef tank by myself. My daughter started and gave me a pico 2.5 gallon tank for my birthday a few months before Sandy, but I lost everything in the blackout that followed. Finally got my nerve up to start my own.

So far I have filled the tank with water (have ro/di system) and added live sand. I am using my Ehiem 2216 filter that powered the tank when it was a planted tank and have added two powerheads. My Buildmyled 20k LEDs have been shipped from Austin and are scheduled to arrive on Saturday.

So my next step is live rock. Not many pet stores nearby - closest is the ELOS store in Millburn, but I cannot afford to shop there. When I had my nano I met the guy in Parsippany who posts on craigslist and works out of his garage. Very nice guy and will probably see if he has any live rock. After reading the forums (this and reefcentral) I am scared of getting 'bad' rock that is full of evil hitchhikers. Anyone with sources for well cured rock or willing to sell about 20 pounds? I have been lurking on craigslist for someone breaking down a small tank. Came close last week to one in Clifton, but it sold while I was at work. Figure buying rock from someone who has kept it for awhile might be better. Am I crazy?

Anyway - my first post. I hope I don't regret my decision to start this tank and appreciate any help/direction/suggestions.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
First off welcome to the club.

If you are really worried about hitchhikers on rock, you can always order some Marco rock or something similiar that is dead dry rock. You have to cycle it yourself but it won't have any pests on it. The real reef rock it also a "fake" live rock that looks awesome and should also not have hitchhikers on it. Check out Aquatic Obessions and Ocean Gallery II up in your area (they are probably like a 45 min drive but are very worth it).

Buying live rock from someone else can be a lot cheaper but like you said it can be covered in bad stuff, and the silent killer, loaded with phosphates. If you have the time and patience to etch the rock and cycle it yourself, it might be worth it. If you want to start a little quicker, you might look to some of the other rock.

Welcome if we can help out let us know.
Aquatic Obsessions is maybe 20 minutes from you check out their forum here awsome guys and livestock.
http://www.njreefers.org/forumdisplay.php?153-Aquatic-Obsessions
Also for a few dollars a year become a member we have a good group buy going on now that will probably pay for your membership if you are buying stuff to get going.
+1 to both things. Also I believe you get 10% off at aquatic obsessions if you become a paid member

Hello Again.

Had a busy weekend with my tank. Went to see Mike in Parsippany and got about 18 pounds of live rock a dozen snails (I think Nerite - they have stubby conical shells) to get things going. Based on his advice - that the rock I bought has been in his system for awhile and was fully cured - I caved in a bought a pair of tank bred clowns. My daughter was relentless in asking. I might have jumped the gun with them, but they seem to be doing well so far (day three!). That brings me to my next question - how often do I need to feed them? When I had my pico reef with one clown, my daughter had me feeding him once a week. But these guys are pretty young and I am thinking that babies (three months old) should eat more often than adults.

I fed them yesterday and they ate very well (picked up some frozen reef mix at the local store).

What is your advice on feeding? Looking at other websites, I am seeing all sorts of advice - from 5 times a day to once a week. It is not very helpful.

I know I need to be patient, but he has some amazing coral. It took every bit of energy to keep from buying one (or two!) of each. I am going to try to hold off until mid August before I spend any more money. Figure that if things are going to go south because of my impulse purchase, it will happen by then.

Thanks for your input.
Steven

Sorry for the second post. I have a question about water changes. I have always been religious and a firm believer that they are critical - but that was based on my 40 years of freshwater experience. This is my first real saltwater tank. Do I do the same routine - 20% once a week?

Also the water I use - I have seen people say that you have to make it a week in advance to allow it to do something (I don't remember - maybe let the salt mix fully dissolve?). Is that important? With freshwater tanks it was easy - turn on the kitchen sink and filler-er-up!

Thanks again!
Steven

Unfortunately with feeding it all depends on what kind of livestock you have. I have 2 triggers and an Anthia in my tank amongst other guys so I try to feed twice a day(frozen food and pellets). With you only having 2 clowns, I'd say feed em every 3 days? That should be fine.

As far as your water change, I let my mixed water mix for at least 1 full day before using it, and yes its to allow all of the salt to dissolve properly. You don't want non dissolved salt going into the tank, fish breathe that in and it could burn their gills(from what I've read) id say 10% a week should be good. Is this just a 2.5g tank? Not sure if I read that right.

Thanks for the advice on feeding. I will go with that and see what happens.

Also good to know about the water changes. Ten percent is easier than 20!

Finally, my current tank is a 20 gallon high.

Make sure you get and RO/DI filter system ... you need the water to as stripped as possible of nutrients and chlorine and chlorime(sp sorry the new replacement for chlorine) is really bad. And water changes ...more is better always so if you can do 20% better than 10% it all depends on if you have skimmer etc.

Oh well then, it looks like I am back to 20%. On such a small tank it is the difference between 2 and 4 gallons, so either way it is really just one bucketful.

I have and ro/di unit already, so I am good there. Too bad it takes so damn long to make water. Says it is rated for 100 gallons per day, but it took me a whole day to make enough to fill the 20 gallon tank!

I mean you don't have to do exactly 20%. Sounds like your water pressure might be low, you can get a pump to increase pressure and output.....sorry I don't know specifics don't have that problem. With the same 100GPD membrane and a restrictor I usually can fill a 30G brute in half a day or less during non winter months.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
We ran a 20g high for a long time and had a lot of success with it. We were doing weekly 10% water changes, and we did them religiously. We added a HOB refugium and a HOB skimmer which gave us a little more water volume and some help keeping the water clean. Water changes will depend on your bioload and feeding. As far as feeding, I would feed once a day, just don't overdo it. The general rule is to give them a minute or two to eat the food in the water and then be done. Which frozen food did you get?

Keep asking questions, it is good when you first start.

Hi Maple, my name is Anthony. If you're visiting Mike in Parsipanny, I'm sure you'll run into me at some point. I'm the one who services (maintains) his tanks for him. As far as the live rock goes, it was definitely cured for at least 4-6 weeks before even being added to his 1800 total gallon system. Also, the feeding regiment that he had those clowns on was to be fed once per day. I'm sure I'll see you around there. I'm there 3-4 times a week doing odds and ends... or just hanging out having a beer :). We'd love to see some pics of your set up! :)

Edit: Also, if you have any questions feel free to ask Mike. He's very honest about everything that he gets in/sells. And he'll tell you flat out if he doesn't think something will survive in your tank. Or he'll suggest a small frag first to see if your tank is capable of handling it. He doesn't make any money by doing what he does... doesn't even break even. Just does it for the love of the hobby, and to help people get stuff that stores would charge outrageous prices for. Also helps that he has been keeping tanks since the 70s. Loads and loads of experience to help out :)

Hi Anthony! Thanks for the welcome and comments. I have found Mike to be very helpful and agree he is a nice guy. I am looking forward to going back to get my first frags. I am holding out until after I get back from vacation in a few weeks.

A quick update on my tank. Things are looking good. Had my diatom bloom start late last week and it seems to be pretty much done. I am noticing some poopy looking stuff laying on top of the sand and assume it is the snails leaving behind their waste. Clowns are doing great. Got some Hikairi dry food and tried it tonight. They loved it and it is much easier than defrosting frozen, so that will be what they get most times. With the waste showing on the sand, I figured it was time for a cleanup crew, which was shipped today from reefcleaners.org. Read lots of good stuff about them and saw some videos. Will post my opinion after it gets here. And against Mike's advice, I ordered the hermit crab pack. Mike said they were not needed and may eat snails, but I just like watching them.

So that's the update. I will try to figure out how to post pictures and might put a few up with my next update.

Thanks to everyone for your good wishes. I can't wait until late August when I can get my first frags.

Steven

Today my package of snails and hermits arrived from reefcleaners.com. John does not know how to count. There were easily double or triple the number of snails that I ordered. My tank is absolutely crawling with them. I don't think it could have been an easier way to get them, or a better value. Based on the prices I have seen locally, I would have easily spent $200 to match the number of creepy-crawlies I got for $40 (shipping included). Heck there were 8 or 9 hermit crabs in the pack (only ordered 5) that alone would have blown the $40 I spent if I were paying the 5 bucks a piece I saw at the stores.

Anyway, I did not have time to play with picture uploads. Maybe this weekend.

Happy reefing everyone.
Steven

Glad to hear things are going well for you! If you ever need any help, I'm about 10 mins away from Parsipanny, and would be more then willing to give you a hand. I'm not as knowledgeable as Mike, but I've been tapping into his fountain of info for over a year now. Also, those clownfish he sold you will eat just about anything you throw in the tank. They know you are their food source, and welcome it gladly! I have a leather frag or two I can throw you to get you started. (Nothing fancy, but it's free and it'll get your feet wet with corals!)