• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

29 Gallon BioCube or 24 Gallon Aquapod??

Looking for some advice from anyone who maybe knows something about the two tanks. I've got my hat in the ring for the 24 Gallon Aquapod with 150w HQI but I came across a 29 Gallon BioCube (PC lighting)(new) and VERY cheap. I don't plan on doing anything too serious. Mainly softies...frogspawn, shrooms, zoa's, maybe hammerfist or Xenia.

Which one is better and leaves more room for upgrades?
I thought originally to go with the Aquapod as it gives me the lights to do whatever I want, but is it overkill for softies?

Thoughts?

Sinkingbeach(francis) has an aquapod 150w MH and does softies right up to the surface of the water... so that's not really an issue.

I have a 29GBiocube and PC lighting is by far the ugliest light I've ever put my corals under.

That being said if your only going to do softies and LPS then I would go with the biocube. Save more money now, it's larger, and if you want you can upgrade it to a 150wMH through Nanocustoms(for a small fortune) later on down the road.

Good luck with the one you choose.

AP is glass right and Cube is not? That would make the deal for me.
Without the top ... you can put a skimmer on the back or in the rear chamber so that helps. Or hang a fuge. The Finnex that they have Premium Aquatics is pretty darn nice settup too. Would be my choice I think if I had to do a nanno over.

NapoliNewJersey said:
Sinkingbeach(francis) has an aquapod 150w MH and does softies right up to the surface of the water... so that's not really an issue.

Yeah, I actually talked to him on the telephone the other night. Great guy. Looking forward to meeting hime and everyone else for that matter! We talked a bit about his set up. One of the things that concerned me was I've heard a few different people said they had problems keeping the water temp down and I know he runs his with the glass off and doesn't have a temp issue, but there is the evap. issue...

NapoliNewJersey said:
I have a 29GBiocube and PC lighting is by far the ugliest light I've ever put my corals under.

That being said if your only going to do softies and LPS then I would go with the biocube. Save more money now, it's larger, and if you want you can upgrade it to a 150wMH through Nanocustoms(for a small fortune) later on down the road.

Good luck with the one you choose.

I was in ILC Fish store today and they have 2 bio cubes set up. I think one was an 8 gallon and one was a 12 gallon if I'm not mistaken. They seemed ok to me. What types of corals do you have in yours?

I think the lighting system on the aquapod is a little better, but I have read about a couple different mods you can do with the biocubes and they're not that expensive (upgrading lights for about 100 - 150 ish) etc...

I ended walking away with the BioCube today. Couple main things caused me to decide on the BioCube...

More water was a big factor. I like the idea of the extra few gallons. Plus the enclosed top.

Thanks for the input...it's greatly appreciated!!

JRWOHLER said:
AP is glass right and Cube is not? That would make the deal for me.
Without the top ... you can put a skimmer on the back or in the rear chamber so that helps. Or hang a fuge. The Finnex that they have Premium Aquatics is pretty darn nice settup too. Would be my choice I think if I had to do a nanno over.

The biocube is glass. Also Oceanic makes a mini skimmer for the biocube.