• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

30 Gallon Adventure: R

I'd agree unless you're washing it daily and even then probably isn't doing really anything for you, and for the love of reefing, I want to see a background on the tank... blue, black, heck even the faux underwater reef shot hehee

Update on a problem that has been a pain for me for AWHILE now, I don't know what to do about it honestly. Check these shots out.

P3060402.jpg

Back of the tank is all red pretty much, along with the rocks

P3060401.jpg

Side of the rocks

P3060400.jpg

Sand is Red as well

I use a turkey baster almost everyday to blow this crap off my rocks. I just did a water change, again I'm not using RO but I am purifying the tap water and mixing it the night before. Again I've been battling this for awhile, it best fits the characteristics of "Red Slime" So I don't know what to do so i figured I'd throw it on here and get some suggestions.

onefish2fish said:
RO/DI water, less feedings, good flow.

Second this. Use this months group buy to get a less expensive yet good quality RO/DI unit. Your flow is enough. Cut the feedings a little bit.
If you have a place to run some phos+silicate removal medium do that too.
Don't add chemicals to your tank if you can help it. Better to do the right thing and get a good unit.

JR, do you mean run some of the phosphate medium like in my fuge? They have filter pads and stuff but I don't really know what you mean.

Yes you can run it in a media bag every little bit helps.
I don't like chemicals added but media that removes stuff is sort the reverse.

Could I actually setup 2 media bags with stuff? One with the phos. remover where the other filter pad was and one where the water is coming out??

Looks like you have the mini fuge setup pretty well. What I would do is just add the phos+silicate remover in the filter pocket. You need to make sure you change the filter on a very regular basis.....you could probably get away with cleaning it one week and throwing it out after the second week. Depends on your feeding schedule.

You might get some other viewpoints that contradict this saying you shouldn't have the filter pad at all. IMHO so long as you regularly change it you are OK. What are you using for a skimmer now still the RIO?

Ryan I know you hope to upgrade soon so it might not be worth the cost unless you can find someone who had one they will give you or sell you very cheaply, but since you have to do HOB things with this tank you can get another aquaclear filter (one of the smaller ones is fine) you don't have to mod it at all... just put a bag of chemipure or (mind blanking, what is the white one you can recharge.... it'll come to me) anyways I use both in my tanks though they are just tossed into the fuge or into the rear chambers on the nano's, would work much better in a HOB for you. Once you get your bigger setup with a sump you can get a phosban reactor.

Yes I just suggested using the filterbag you have there already. You can do whatever you like in this case I don't really think there is a huge difference. The one thing is you want to make sure you clean that filterbag really regularly.