• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

32 gallon cube build

I'm getting ready to start my second tank. I was wondering would their be any benefits in putting my dry rock in my existing sump for the next couple of weeks. Helping my cycle along.

Thanks,
Jose

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Would help with a quicker cycle or no cycle at all, depending on the amount of rock you put in there and how long you leave it in, i would say 3-4 weeks.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If it's dry bleached rock, there shouldn't really be a nitrate or phosphate issue with it, it would be the same as putting a sponge in your sump in order to get it ready for a quarantine tank. If it's dried rock from a previous tank that has stuff on it, then yes, i could see that issue happening.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
If you don't plan on putting anything into the tank for a while, you could always put them in there and run gfo, keep the light off. Anything dead will come off the rocks and start the cycle, gfo will keep the phosphate down and the rest will be up to the bacteria when it starts growing.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm not sure that they make a T5 fixture that small, led's would probably be my first choice, metal halide would be overkill on lps.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Back in the day when we had a 30g cube, we ran a 250w MH over it for a while. It was actually pretty awesome, you just had to be real careful about heat. Again, I would go with the kessil, but something to think about.

Plumbing all done. Eshopps PSK-75 skimmer on its way. Decided to go with the sicce silent 3.0 return pump. Installed a ball valve to regulate flow. Also have a manifold for a reactor or two. Haven't decided on lighting yet.

Attachments

• 20160704_201819.jpg
    20160704_201819.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 10