• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

36 inch 6 bulb setups

We recently purchased a 57 gallon tank and need to buy new lights for it. We are pretty sure we are going to go with T5s as the lighting. We currently have both T5s and MH fixtures on our tanks now and just really like the T5s better. The new tank will be 36 inches long so we were looking at the 36 inch fixtures with six bulbs. The one that seems to be the most common is the Current

http://www.premiumaquatics.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?Screen=CTGY&Category_Code=Current-T5

Does anyone have experience with this fixture or other 36 inch 6 bulbs fixtures. We currently have the 24 inch four bulb fixture and have been happy with it. Just wanted to see what our options were. Thanks.

I don't have any experience with Current T5 fixtures, but I do know they don't use individual reflectors. Depending on what you want to keep and how deep your tank is that might make a difference. My tank is also 36" and 24" deep and I use a 36" Aquactinic T5X. This gives my tank enough light to keep clams and sps in the upper half of the tank. You can also sit the fixture directly on the tank. There is a tread on reef central all about T5 lighting and the different fixtures. It's in the lighting,filtration forum. There is a guy there that will answer any T5 question.

We currently have both T5s and MH fixtures on our tanks now and just really like the T5s better.
... the way the your tank looks under them or the effect it has on your coral polyps?

I have a fixture with 4X36" T5 and 1X250W MH. I like the looks of T5 and the fact that it has a smaller carbon footprint, and have thought of switching over many times. But my corals disagree with me on that point every day and open up with a vengeance the moment the MH starts outputting usable light :-X.

Disclaimer: I am not sure what T5 ballast I have, definitely do not have individual reflectors on T5s.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Hood or no hood? What about one of the IceCap fixtures or Retro kits? I like the retros for the bang for buck. I would choose an IceCap fixture (that you know is powered with a 660 ballast) over a current fixture (my current PC fixture had the ballasts both "melt" on me), personally.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I've seen Ian's fixture its in good shape and he is a good guy. We are hitting the meeting together today and could bring it along.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I can bring it home with me if you guys aren't going to the meeting (!?) ;D

ghost- Current is/has converted all of their T5 fixtures over to individual reflectors. You'll still find some parabolic ones out there, but they're being phased out.

Nikki, if you are looking for a T5 fixture, Ian's TEK unit will give you better performance over the Current.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thank you guys for all the responses and the offers. We are still over a month away from setting up the tank, just doing research. The tank will have no canopy or hood. The new currents say they have individual reflectors but I was told it is just one big one kind of folded around the bulb. I also heard the IceCaps are very nice fixtures, just can't seem to find them on their website or any website for that matter. The ATI are nice but are pricey and don't have legs. The search continues.

Buffalowing, does it have legs at all or is it just rigged for hanging? We are looking for one with legs, don't want to hang a fixture. Or if you can point me where to get legs, I think we can work something out, you don't live too far away.

It's just got hanging compenents, Tek sells legs for them, they're on the semi expensive side for legs, like $50. I don't know if you could Diy some legs for it or not or maybe find some legs for sale online used or something. I'm in no rush to get rid of it so let me know.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I will contact TEK on monday and let you know, I live in 08730 so it would just be a straight shot out 195 to get to you. Will let you know.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thanks vang, we will be talking about it this weekend, but it looks like the way we are going to go.

I don't have the 36 in fixture but have been really happy with my 48 in one from Catalina Aquariums. The used Tek is nice though.

Did you consider this: http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Aquarium-Light-T5-HO-8X-39-bulbs-Reef-NEW-bulbs_W0QQitemZ280336340501QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4145591615

My current fixture is one from ebay and so far my house hasn't caught fire :p. They also seller also sells 6 bulb fixtures, but looks like he is out of them at the moment.

You might have to change your ballasts and bulbs at a later time, but you could always jump in a NJRC GB and get a decent deal on that. I always find it easier to go about make my expenses incrementally as opposed to a big bang approach. Easier on my pocket, and helps me make a much informed upgrade.

gogol said:
Did you consider this: http://cgi.ebay.com/36-Aquarium-Light-T5-HO-8X-39-bulbs-Reef-NEW-bulbs_W0QQitemZ280336340501QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item4145591615

My current fixture is one from ebay and so far my house hasn't caught fire :p. They also seller also sells 6 bulb fixtures, but looks like he is out of them at the moment.

You might have to change your ballasts and bulbs at a later time, but you could always jump in a NJRC GB and get a decent deal on that. I always find it easier to go about make my expenses incrementally as opposed to a big bang approach. Easier on my pocket, and helps me make a much informed upgrade.

I am not sure if they are the Catalina Aq. fixtures or not they look like it. The ballasts are very good IMHO...the bulbs are sort of stop gap...UVL and Giesmann and am sure ATI also make a huge difference.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Thank you for the link, can't check ebay at work. I am sure we are going to go with the TEK fixture, but this was a nice alternative.

Check out aquatinics thier fixture pushes out more light then the TEK and the Current with 5 bulbs and how they mount the lights in a half moon shape.

Im selling or trading my 36inch aquatinics tx5 in for a 24 inch version. thats how much i like it.