• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

40 Breeder Display/40 Breeder Sump

Well im no longer in NJ, but i still support and lurk the site so i figured why not share my new tank.
this one started out as a cheapo-pretty little freshwater tank full of neons...

IMG_4904.jpg

and all i could think about was adding salt to the thing ::)

so i did what any sane person would do, i re-bought all the "needed" equipment since i left my original stuff at home for the other tank.

living in an apartment doesnt provide an easy route to power tools. i started out building a canopy since i never got around to doing it for my first tank. the wood is simply ply balusters
DSCN1399.jpg

i was going to cover the top and back side of the canopy with this black plastic netting, i later decided to only cover the back side and use ply for the top.
DSCN1397.jpg

DSCN1487.jpg

next up, the stand
DSCN1448.jpg

primed with kilz
DSCN1466.jpg

siliconed and puttied all edges
DSCN1457.jpg

painted black
DSCN1479-1.jpg

built my version of the sump light

DSCN1562.jpg

DSCN1563.jpg

rubber grommet for hole drilled where the cord exits
DSCN1572.jpg

and a "y" painted black
DSCN1574.jpg

DSCN1576.jpg

using the original sump from my old tank
DSCN1577.jpg

| skimmer/inlet | bubble trap | return pump/heater | divider wall | refugium/inlet |
installed a computer gromet for my wires
DSCN1581.jpg

DSCN1540.jpg

next was to drill the tank
DSCN1667.jpg

DSCN1668.jpg

and the glass is dirty
DSCN1669.jpg

for my plumbing i wanted my drain to split to either side of my sump and i couldnt find ( IDK if they make ) 1 1/2'' PVC "Y's"
regardless my local hardware store doesnt carry it so the bottom displays what i came up with to split my drain.
DSCN1678.jpg

DSCN1645.jpg

DSCN1646.jpg

DSCN1587.jpg

DSCN1648.jpg

DSCN1651.jpg

around the overflow
DSCN1673.jpg

DSCN1676.jpg

DSCN1681.jpg

just a quick idea for some of you bare-bottom-ers
DSCN1674.jpg

originally i thought i would clip the wall up somehow
DSCN1586.jpg

those clips wouldnt hold much more then a frag rack. i just ended up shaving it and siliconing it to the back glass.
DSCN1650.jpg

taking a look at the specs

40 breeder display
40 breeder sump
MP10w powerhead ( eventually MAYBE another )
700gph glass-holes overflow
Quiet one 3000 return pump ( which is rated 780 gph but due to head height and returned water for my DIY carbon reactor i should be fine, i plan on using a smaller pump eventually anyways )
ASM mini G skimmer ( not sure if im using this, it needs a replacement pump anyways )
AWI Typhoon 5 stage RO/DI unit ( waiting on this to come in to start making water )
40lbs marco/40lbs sand
jager heater
Lights are not purchased yet, im thinking about t5s.

2x brute 20 gallon trash bins for saltwater/ro water
quiet one 800 for mixing saltwater
reef crystals salt mix

Jon,Welcome back,and yr build is coming along well.But wondering if yr going t5's why such a tall canopy?I will def tag along on this one.Cont gd luck on the build

thanks guys.

the tall canopy is to keep my options for lighting open. hopefully it will keep my cat from sitting ontop too. i dont think its as tall as it looks, regardless i dont mind it.

magic

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Jon

Welcome back! It's good to see you jumping back in. Your a chip off the old block and that's a good thing. Keep the updates coming.

Bob

thanks everyone! its good to be back at it. i missed the UPS man yesterday as i was at dale chihuly's exhibit looking at his glass work. ( google chihuly in images ;) )

hopefully today ill catch UPS because its my RO/DI unit.

Yea, I agree. A little birdie told me you got a bunch of corals this week. Lets see some pictures.

i picked up more sand for the refuge section of the sump. not sure if im happy with how fine it is. some very bad clouding going on at the moment.
when the tank was clear, as for corals they are under a 2 strip of T5s that has lighting in more of a yellow spectrum... not much to share.

thinking about LEDs from amazon and some sort of cone skimmer. any thoughts/suggestions?