• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

40 breeder flow rate?

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Im planing on setting up a 10 gallon refugium/sump under the tank and was wondering what would be the best flow rate.. it's FOWLR now but im planning on corals soon

Thanks

i believe most people like slower flow rate through their sump. which is about 5-10x water volume

i personally use mine to have a higher volume of water since my display is only a 29gal, don't like power heads in the display so use it for water flow in DT, and moving all equipment out of sight.

it's really what you want out of the sump/fuge.

I think I understand what your asking . You dont want too much flow/turbulance in the 10 gal. ? But it will all depend on what type of overflow will be feeding the 10 gal. You can restrict the feed into it/or out ,ball/gate valve, but try to get as much turn over as possible. What do you plan on running in the fuge . Remember you will need at least a chamber for return pump with a bubble trap, a inlet area(filter sock ?), and I would guess the intended fuge area . Do you also plan on putting a skimmer,heater under there ? If the plan is chaeto,calupra ,etc.. in the fuge a bit of flow is needed to keep it moving .

Can you fit a longer or bigger tank umder it . Longer will give you space to spare for future additions .
I would try to go as big as possible on the fuge . The same with the overflow,this will allow you to adjust as the flow as needed . Keep in mind that the flow spreads out across the width of the fuge. That 3/4 or 1 inch strong stream of a feed going into it is not strong at all across the width of the fuge,it becomes a nice flow .

Hope this helps and keeps you from having to remove dividers in your fuge after its filled with water,running and in a tight spot like I've done and may need to do some more of! :mad: :mad: If only I had experience befor I was new to this (lol)

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
evoIX said:
i believe most people like slower flow rate through their sump. which is about 5-10x water volume

i personally use mine to have a higher volume of water since my display is only a 29gal, don't like power heads in the display so use it for water flow in DT, and moving all equipment out of sight.

it's really what you want out of the sump/fuge.
Thanks for the input.. im just having a prob finding the right overflow and return pump for this size

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
qwik said:
I think I understand what your asking . You dont want too much flow/turbulance in the 10 gal. ? But it will all depend on what type of overflow will be feeding the 10 gal. You can restrict the feed into it/or out ,ball/gate valve, but try to get as much turn over as possible. What do you plan on running in the fuge . Remember you will need at least a chamber for return pump with a bubble trap, a inlet area(filter sock ?), and I would guess the intended fuge area . Do you also plan on putting a skimmer,heater under there ? If the plan is chaeto,calupra ,etc.. in the fuge a bit of flow is needed to keep it moving .

Can you fit a longer or bigger tank umder it . Longer will give you space to spare for future additions .
I would try to go as big as possible on the fuge . The same with the overflow,this will allow you to adjust as the flow as needed . Keep in mind that the flow spreads out across the width of the fuge. That 3/4 or 1 inch strong stream of a feed going into it is not strong at all across the width of the fuge,it becomes a nice flow .

Hope this helps and keeps you from having to remove dividers in your fuge after its filled with water,running and in a tight spot like I've done and may need to do some more of! :mad: :mad: If only I had experience befor I was new to this (lol)
I have the plans for the baffles.. bubble trap included.. i also got the skimmer footprint too just need to find a return pump size for the footprint and 2x 150 watt heatters...I'm thinking of putting some GARF Grunge in the fuge with macroalgae

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Sump plan Right to left... Overflow intake with sock and skimmer/bubble trap/ fuge/ baffle/Return pump with heaters

are you planning to drill the tank or HOB overflow box?

glass-holes nano would work well. and depending on internal/external pump. mag 5 would get you 292~ at 3' overhead. check reefcentral.com homepage on left hand side for headloss calc

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
The_Codfather said:
Sump plan Right to left... Overflow intake with sock and skimmer/bubble trap/ fuge/ baffle/Return pump with heaters
just found this pic of the same plan seems he's useing a 300 gph overflow with a 300 gph return pump
S7301838.jpg

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
evoIX said:
are you planning to drill the tank or HOB overflow box?

glass-holes nano would work well. and depending on internal/external pump. mag 5 would get you 292~ at 3' overhead. check reefcentral.com homepage on left hand side for headloss calc
Sorry never saw your post.. it's has to be a HOB box as the tank is already set up

I have found that greater flow will help some macros like cheato that actually likes to tumble.

Warning or footnote, the greater the flow the louder it will be.
I don't know diddly about HOB overflows so cannot help at all with that part.

don't forget about microbubbles. in a small sump like a 10 gallon, you don't want the water coming through too fast. i would use the mag5 and drill the 40b.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
mr_X said:
don't forget about microbubbles. in a small sump like a 10 gallon, you don't want the water coming through too fast. i would use the mag5 and drill the 40b.
I wish i could drill but the tank is set up already

Also don't forget that you can only drain the amount that you pump in. Decide how much flow you want in yout sump first then size the pump to that, then pick your overflow box. You can always put a valve on a pump to adjust it to your overflow box, then bring it down a little extra because your overflow will slow down a little as time goes on.

Personally I would do a 300gph overflow with a mag 5 with a valve on the pump.

The_Codfather

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
rgarofalo said:
Also don't forget that you can only drain the amount that you pump in. Decide how much flow you want in yout sump first then size the pump to that, then pick your overflow box. You can always put a valve on a pump to adjust it to your overflow box, then bring it down a little extra because your overflow will slow down a little as time goes on.

Personally I would do a 300gph overflow with a mag 5 with a valve on the pump.
A Danner Mag-Drive 5? If i use that with the set up (Hight,90's, valves, ect...) the flow rate and head loss will be...Total losses are 5.22 feet of head pressure, or 2.25 PSI. with a flow rate of 234 GPH. Does that sound about right? ???

Just put a valve that you can adjust the return rate in. I would suggest it because then you can close the valve off if you turn the pump off too.

i just bought an eshopps pf-300 which is definitely not pushing 300 and i have only 1 90elbow on the drain. other than that it's going through 1pvc and 1 1/4" flex tubing. mag 7 would be too much. i have maybe 200 MAX going due to my overflow