• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

48" 72 Bowfront LED build == Lots of pics

Let start with my custom lifereef sump!!! woohoo

3885baf3.jpg

And now all the LED pictures

photo_3.jpg
the tank

photo.jpg

2d4ed1f8.jpg

d7e0a6d5.jpg

a8352942.jpg

2199d762.jpg

6d7b83d5.jpg

a8aadb27.jpg

385b53b8.jpg

I used 2 20" heatsinks - 60 LEDs xr-e's - 6 meanwell 60-48d drivers - dsub connectors - reefkeeper w/ ALC - catalina aquarium fixture

here is an estimated break down ... drivers $240 - fixture $120 - LEDs $400 - optics/thermal pads $100 - wire/solder $50 - heatsinks $110 .... It will probably be around the $1000 mark

Damn chunk that thing is bright! Im sure all that LED wiring was fun, when are you filling it up? I can let you borrow a K1 to get the water moving.

yea its pretty bright - there are 60 LEDs hopefully once i get all my optics it will calm the light down a lil bit .... no one has a par meter they wanna lend out????

Wow, this fixture came out great. Would you mind giving a little more detail on how you built it? What colors did you go with? It looks like your running 10 leds in series per driver? And what are you using as the 1-10 vdc input for the dimmer? Sorry for all the questions id love to replicate this one day.

lets see here ... 30 XR-E Royal Blue and 30 XR-E Q5 Cool Whites .... 20" heatsinks ... they are 1-10v and i use a reefkeeper with the ALC module to control everything -- It also has 2 40mm cooling fans in each end to cool the fixture

chuck very nice, excellent build.
I am getting my leds soon but not a diy. when you took the picture of led fixture upside down (1st pic) is there a reason why only one fixture had optics? how many degree are those? how many ma are those leds going to be driven at? i think you mentioned you will adjust that via rke module, so that may answer my previous question. are those 3w leds? with the fans you can have 2 blowing air in and the other 2 blowing air out. i dont know how you have then wired but fwiw there a idea.
i was going to do pretty much the same thing with my tek light 6x54w shell and possibly and try to still use 2x54w t5's to tweak colors, i ended up building a open top canopy and went ahead with maxspect g2 2x160'w over my 48x18x18. i am still waiting on lights to arrive. i may even get a icecap 660 and some t5's 2 add in the mix. sorry i got alil side tracked.

awesome build,
joey

Thanks Joey

I just didnt have the optics yet -- they all have optics now and I ended up with just 2 100mm fans between the heatsink and the fixture blowing down on the heatsinks. They are all cree xr-e's so yea they are 3watts

radiata

NJRC Member
Got to see this baby tonight up close and personal, and I'm really, really impressed! If I had a clue about things electrical and knew how to use a soldering gun I'd try to build one...