• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

54G Corner Reef Tank

Hello NJRC-

I am new to the saltwater hobby. I hope to learn as much as I can from all of you.

After some research and a bit of a whim I decided to set up a reef tank, the only problem is that I wish that I had done it sooner. By far this is the most challenging and yet fulfilling hobbies that I have taken up. I settled on my 54G corner because of space issue in my townhouse, I want to gain as much experience as possible before I get a bigger system, which I am already planning. My 54G sits in the corner of my dining room and has transformed an otherwise dull corner of my house into a miniature reef that everyone enjoys.

Here is my system so far:

Equipment:
24" Solar Extreme Deep Blue T5's
24" Aquaticlife LED 460nm (really makes the corals pop)
Eshopps PSK-75 in sump Protein Skimmer
Eshopps RS-100 Sump
Return pump: Model 3 Danner Supreme Mag-Drive Utility Pump
2x Hydor Koralias
Heater
~50lbs LR

From the beginning of my planning/ set up of the system, redundancy and ease of use was the overarching principle. I have a busy schedule and from time to time my wife has to cover down on the tank duties. Therefore, purchased some pieces of equipment that have definitely paid off from the get go.

I decided on a RO/DI unit from the beginning in order to prevent myself from having to pay for and haul RO/DI water from the LFS, which was going to be a pain. I know in the long run it will pay itself off so I bought a 5-Stage 75 GPD system from BRS. I am happy with the system and I am glad that I bought it from the beginning, I keep at least 25 gallons on hand at all times for any emergencies/ my ATO system.

To go along with the RO/DI system I purchased a JBJ ATO system w/ an Aqualifter pump. I like its simplicity and I have not encountered any issues with it. I have a 5 gallon reservoir next to my tank that the ATO draws from, I plan on making and or purchasing a cabinet to tidy up the area around the tank.

In keeping with the redundancy/ ease of use principle I purchased a DA Reefkeeper lite, I run my entire system off of this system and I love it. The Temp probe and pH monitor give me a quick status of my tank and an early warning system that has made my reef keeping experience pleasant so far.

My system has been up and running for almost three months. I cycled my tank using biospira and I keep to a 10% water change every two weeks.

Here is the livestock in my tank so far:

Fish:
1x Ocellaris named Nemo, I know it is not original but he watches that movie all the time and the name has stuck

Inverts:
2x Peppermint shrimp, they are breeding like crazy one already has a second batch of eggs, I cannot argue with free plankton.
1x Blood Shrimp, my favorite animal in the tank, I think he happy as he has molted twice since I put him in the tank.
1x Emerald Crab
Assorted Hermit Crabs
Assorted Snails:
Nerite
Nassarius
Astrea
Turbo
Cerith

3x Brittle star, one large green and two smaller hitchhikers, one yellow one that is pretty cool.

Corals:

GSP
Zoanthids: Neon Green variety and two others that I have not identified yet, I will post pictures.
Pipe Organ
Galaxea
Torch
Bubble

I had a Goby in the tank, however it went MIA awhile back, either it went carpet surfing or it died in the tank and the CUC finished him off. Going forward I have been hesitant to get another fish because I am not sure what will get along with my Clownfish as well as be comfortable in my tank. This is the one area that I could use your advice/ insight.

Hopefully that is enough information, I am open to all suggestions, criticisms and advice from the NJRC community as I am eager to learn from all of you.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
+1 with the rockwork, you will have some great coral areas.

You have many options with fish that will leave your clown alone and your clown will leave alone.

1. Get another clown to pair it up with. They are much cooler in pairs and can actually be pretty easy to pair up
2. Gobies, you have tons of choices here as they stay small and are peaceful
3. Blennies: Again great choices out there (barnacles, tail spots) that are peaceful yet full of personality
4. Basslets (Swales, swissguard) Very peaceful and can be a bit cryptic but are gorgeous animals
5. Wrasses: If you tank is covered, a pair of flasher wrasses or pygmy wrasses would be nice
6. Anthias: Stick to the smaller ones and you should be fine

First off, welcome to NJRC!
The tank looks great, I think you made good choices with your equipment.
I love blood shrimp, they are one of my favorite inverts.
Mike (mnat)'s suggestions are pretty spot on, I would add that in a tank of that size, you could also consider cardinals (i like bangaiis, and several LFS have captive bred fish available) or if you have a cover, firefish. Basslets, Anthias, small wrasses, gobies, firefish, or cardinals would all make great tank mates for an ocellaris clown.
With 50+ gallons to work with, you have a lot of peacefull options.

+1 with the rockwork, you will have some great coral areas.

You have many options with fish that will leave your clown alone and your clown will leave alone.

1. Get another clown to pair it up with. They are much cooler in pairs and can actually be pretty easy to pair up
2. Gobies, you have tons of choices here as they stay small and are peaceful
3. Blennies: Again great choices out there (barnacles, tail spots) that are peaceful yet full of personality
4. Basslets (Swales, swissguard) Very peaceful and can be a bit cryptic but are gorgeous animals
5. Wrasses: If you tank is covered, a pair of flasher wrasses or pygmy wrasses would be nice
6. Anthias: Stick to the smaller ones and you should be fine

Thanks mnat for the detailed advice. I picked up another clown, they paired up within a days time and they are definitely cool together.

Well, the two clown fish died this week. Not sure if it was Ich or something else. Everything was going well and all of a sudden both clowns kicked the bucket within three days of each other. Therefore, my tank is now a IOWLR tank with no fish. I am not sure how to go forward in regards to adding fish to the system again. All of my corals are happy and growing, the peppermint shrimps are breeding like crazy. I am just hesitant to add more fish only to have them get sick.

New LPS additions to the tank. I seem to be going down the LPS route. I am fascinated by Euphyllia corals as well as Acans so I picked up two frags to add to the tank.

Frogspawn, opened right up and is doing well in the tank.

Frogspawn 3.jpg

Acan, not sure of the name.
Acan (1).jpg

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
+1 to the acan echinata. Give that coral plenty of room, they have very long very nasty tentacles that will kill corals around it.

falconut

NJRC Member
Looks like a great start. I'm partial to the LPS too. Love the way they sway in the current.

If the clowns showed signs of ich, then just leave the tank without fish for about 6 - 8 weeks. But, if they didn't show any signs, then you should be able to try a fish again. Was the 2nd clown a wild caught? I added a WC one back when I started and it died in a few weeks. Since then, I got two captive bred babies and they're going strong after 8+ years.

falconut

NJRC Member
I just use the same food I feed my fish, frozen mysis or frozen brine. I wait until the lights are out for an hour or so, this way the fish are asleep. I thaw out the food, use a turkey baster to suck it up and then direct feed most of the feeders I can find. I do this with my acans, candy canes, favia, torches, hammers, fungia plate and frogspawn. Hope this helps.

I just use the same food I feed my fish, frozen mysis or frozen brine. I wait until the lights are out for an hour or so, this way the fish are asleep. I thaw out the food, use a turkey baster to suck it up and then direct feed most of the feeders I can find. I do this with my acans, candy canes, favia, torches, hammers, fungia plate and frogspawn. Hope this helps.
+1 just remember to turn off all pumps I leave mi e off for about 20 mins after I target feed to give corals time to munch all the food or it will get blown all around the tank.....