• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

60g cube build, need some advise

No would I need that? Doesn't the return pump decide how much water goes into the drain?

From my readings, having a gate valve on a drain especially a Herbie or bean-animal style is necessary. You can control flow into the sump and reduce noise. What style overflow are you using?

I'd have a valve on the return to balance everything.

I'm sure we have some experts here who know for sure...

In you current setup without valves, the return pump and drain would need to be equal, which could be problematic.

I'd love to do a bean animal but I only have one drain. I'm hoping it will be at least close to silent

It seems durso can have noise issues. Bean takes three drains, My setup I'm working on will be a Herbie. Two drains, and quiet. One full siphon and the other a dry emergency.

Do a search on reef central. Tons of info on this subject.

Tommyboynj

Administrator
Officer Emeritus
You still want a valve on a durso drain. Will help you tweak it for less noise.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Go to the copper fitting and poly pipe section of loWes. That's where I found mine

Sent from my C811 4G using Tapatalk

Hockeynut

NJRC Member
Gate valves may have to be ordered on line I haven't seen them in HD or lowes. As far as the derso I have one on my 90 and it is almost silent, the key is to adjust the return very slow and wait a long time for it to adjust. You can find the sweet spot it wants to run at, I have more noise from the water coming over the overflow then what comes down the pipe.

I've yet to see a gate valve in any Home Depot or lowes. Does anyone know of anything local?

If you are going to use a valve to 'throttle' the flow a globe valve is actually what you want. Gate valves are typically used as open or closed to stop flow completely. I am not sure why the aquarium trade uses them religiously, maybe because they are less likely to clog and somewhat easy to clean but as a retired union pipefitter I can say in every other application globe valves, for flow control, is the way to go.

Maybe an expert in the aquarium industry can chime in on why they are better!

My $.02
Plus another $5 will buy you a beer :)

If you are going to use a valve to 'throttle' the flow a globe valve is actually what you want. Gate valves are typically used as open or closed to stop flow completely. I am not sure why the aquarium trade uses them religiously, maybe because they are less likely to clog and somewhat easy to clean but as a retired union pipefitter I can say in every other application globe valves, for flow control, is the way to go.

Maybe an expert in the aquarium industry can chime in on why they are better!

My $.02
Plus another $5 will buy you a beer :)

If you read the large Bean Animal oveflow thread on RC. they talk about gate valves allowing precise adjustments to flow compared to ball valves. Ball valves work, but just not as well according to those experts.

If you read the large Bean Animal oveflow thread on RC. they talk about gate valves allowing precise adjustments to flow compared to ball valves.

I didn't read it guess I should. Yes a gate valve would most certainly be better at throttle control than a ball valve but then a ball valve is basically the same as a gate valve (used either fully open or fully closed) maybe they just don't make globe valves in PVC anymore. It was bothering me so I check the flow control on my octopus skimmer and it is indeed a globe valve (although it is an angled globe). Seems odd to me that they don't use them.

Thanks everyone for their help. I ended up going with this setup

It's not cleaned up yet, but it's a start. Tank is cycled, and I'm starting to move some hardy corals over from my bio cube just to make sure before fish go in tomorrow.
Current tank shot, open to suggestions on aquascaping, I had a rough time with this tank.

No corals are in their final places, just dropped in where they fit.