• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

65g RedSeaMax250... I want to be a reef when I grow up.....

Sorry I wasn't to detailed before. You have a lot of options. I wouldn't go cutting the back of that tank given the price of it ;). I used a LED light bar, there are some submersible options, some pond lights...though they generate heat, maybe you can even find a little florescent light that is water tight. There are a number of forums you can check out, here and outside, nano-reef.com is one. I was thinking that nano forums will have solutions that will also work in your all in one tank.

James~ I get cha with the nano comparison, and totally agree. Thanks for the suggestions.... :) I won't be cutting the tank up just yet !! LOL :p I have removed the media in the back the past few days and have been brainstorming some ideas for a set up....without having to add a sump. It seems like the submersible light will work back there in the compartment where I removed the sponge.... it's actually pretty easy for my little hand to reach in, and I think if I can contain the cheato in something, that I could work something out..

Can it be kept in a loose mesh type bag ?? or would an egg crate type containment be better ?

Jerzsky~ That light on the link looks great, love the two separate bulbs for both sides.. I think the store is closed down temporarily as of the 9th though. :(

I found this one.. any opinions on it ??? http://www.marinedepot.com/ps_ViewItem.aspx?idproduct=EC5115

Things have changed in the past few years since I had my tanks, and the whole refugium is new to me, but I love the idea. :) Still having the same low nitrite/ammon readings.. it's minimal but hopefully it will drop to 0 this week.... I did a 10g w/t Sunday..

I used eggcrate with zipties to create a platform with rubble rock below it. I left a hole on one side to get a siphon hose down in it to get some gunk out. Those lights look pretty decent. I think a red and white one would be a good combo. We have a sponsor Wingo here that makes LED lights. You could have him build you one to fit.

i still on the fence between the 70 tech or the redsea250...did you ever get the skimmer working properly?
is the tank noisy ?

albie611 said:
i still on the fence between the 70 tech or the redsea250...did you ever get the skimmer working properly?
is the tank noisy ?
Yes the skimmer is doing it's job well... I will post some updated pics later today & include the skimmer. :) You are more then welcome to have a look at it in person if ever in the Jackson area.
jonathan. said:
JW, where did you get your RS Max 250 at?

Like these tanks a lot, for AIO units.
Not sure who JW is ?? LOL but I bought mine from Trop.

Just wanted to update the skimmer pic.... I found some people are swapping the stock skimmer out for a Tunze.... more so on the RSM130's, but on the 250 it seems to do a good job, as you can see....

I've also added a hydor flo rotator to the smaller return pump for some extra "motion in the ocean" :)

IMG_6956.jpg

IMG_6957.jpg

Hi Lori :) You're doing a great job on your tank. I love every bit of it. I see your signature line states you have a 90RR - empty. Well, I don't want to jinx it or anything, but I'm fairly sure that baby will be filled in no time at all. ;D

Welcome to the obsession...ahem, I mean hobby. ;)

Thanks Wendy!! :) I've missed this stuff !!!!

JerseyWendy said:
I see your signature line states you have a 90RR - empty. Well, I don't want to jinx it or anything, but I'm fairly sure that baby will be filled in no time at all. ;D

Shhhhhh..... :-X we don't want to wake that obsessive voice inside my head !! LOL I've already got the plan for where it can fit perfectly !! LOL

Coming along really well! I cant wait to see the 90 up and going ;) Welcome aboard and good luck with the tank,I will tag along for the build :D

Thanks :) THe thing is the space I have for the larger tank is 6 feet wide... and the 90 will just be too small for that spot, so I may have to get another tank.... long enough to fill the space !!!! :) Triggers , wrasses and puffers.. Oh my !!!!!

JohnS_323

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
CoralGarden said:
...THe thing is the space I have for the larger tank is 6 feet wide... and the 90 will just be too small for that spot, so I may have to get another tank.... long enough to fill the space !!!!...

Written in my best "Miss Cleo" accent!

Ay mahn . . . I see a 180 gallon reef tank in your future, mahn . . . just like me 'ome island of Jamaica . . . call me now . . .

Sorry for the delay... I was away in sunny Florida for a few..... visiting Mickey & the Power Rangers ! LOL Thankfully, everyone looks happy in the tank, just a little algae on the glass .... :)

Ay mahn . . . I see a 180 gallon reef tank in your future, mahn . . . just like me 'ome island of Jamaica . . . call me now . .
Very funny John ! ;D Is that the size I'd be able to fit ?? That makes me very happy !! I know I can get some nice size fishies in that !!

repo man said:
tank looks good, i have that 175 bow front on here for sale if u are ready
I may have to give the FS thread a lookie... :) Shhhhhhh...

CoralGarden said:
I just measured the space and it is only 66 inches ! Now I have to see what size I can fit in there.... ???

standard sized AGA tanks would max out at 48". Then they leap to 72".

I think perfecto has a 120 long - 60" - but I'm not familiar with the tank. 60x18x26. Not sure that is what you want since folks like the 24" depth of a standard 120.

pdf link for perfecto sized tanks:
http://www.marineland.com/sites/Marineland/Documents/Corner-flo Tank Specs.pdf

Thanks for the link... ;)

The 60" length would be nice in that cubby.... the depth won't matter as far as side viewing because the sides will be hidden behind the walls, the space is sort of a built in, that was meant for a wet bar....
If I were to do a FOLR I think the length vs. depth would be better for swimming space, so this tank may be the best option for me. Thanks again.

Anyway... how is it I am getting sidetracked into another tank..... I just got my RSM !! LOL