• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

75 Gallon Reef

So after being out of the hobby for a few years (moved a couple times and got married), I am finally back!

I had told my wife that I wanted to set up a tank after the wedding, and as soon as we got back from our honeymoon we found a great deal here on njreefers and jumped on it.

So I'll let Larissa add the pics, and I'll post the specs...

The Tank

Tank is a glass RR 75g with a 20g sump using a Mag 7 return.

Sand and Rock

We have about 40 lbs of sand for a 1-1.5" SSB mixed with a bag of crushed substrate. (I'm well aware of the downside to crushed coral, but its a mixed crushed substrate, and the effect is well worth the added maintenance)

I had a lot of dried rock from my old tanks, and mixed it with about 50 lbs that were purchased with the tank. I'm guessing there's about 80-100 lbs between the display and the sump.

Equipment

Water motion is currently two Koralia 2 powerheads, plus the flow from the return. We may upgrade this to a closed loop at some point, but we'll see how it goes.

The heater is a cheap glass submersible which will be replaced with redundant Ebos shortly.

We have two skimmers, a Remora HOB and an Urchin (same skimmer but made for sump use). I'd like to trade both for a better skimmer and am leaning towards either an ASM G3 or an Aqua C 180. We're currently only running the Remora HOB during the cycle.

Lighting is a four bulb T5 fixture without individual reflectors. It will do for now, but will eventually be upgraded to MH lights.

Water

Water will be filtered through an RO/DI normally, but to fill and cycle the tank, I bypassed the RO and ran through pre-filter, carbon and DI. I tested parameters and came up negative on nutrients, so I'm not concerned.

We're currently using the AP test kits to test for the presence of nutrients, and will upgrade to Saliferts for more accurate measurement post-cycle.

Livestock

We're still cycling the tank, so its a minimal list right now. In order to keep algal blooms under control, we have a skeleton cleanup crew of about seven turbos and some hermit crabs. I'm closely monitoring for stress and testing parameters, and will do water changes if I need to.

Plans

In the very near future, we'll upgrade the heaters and the skimmer. We also plan on adding an auto top off system prior to fish or corals going in.

Once the tank is stable, I plan on dosing kalk for calcium and alkalinity balance, and have been looking at ZeoVit additives, but will cross that bridge after more research.

In the not so distant future, but not right away, I'd like to upgrade to MH lighting, and add a controller.

In the very distant future, I'd like to upgrade to a tank big enough for a couple of great whites... I may be getting ahead of myself here though, and will probably settle for a couple of tangs for now!

So there are the specs, pics should be up soon!

OK, since I am apparently the keeper of the photos, here's the very start:
2009_0414newcamera0006.jpg

And one of the bins o' rocks from whence some of the ones now in the tank came:
2009_0414newcamera0008.jpg

The mess that used to be our dining room (sigh):
2009_0414newcamera0010.jpg

After initial aquascaping:
2009_0414newcamera0012.jpg

Today, but with lights off. Boo to the algae, though Eric (beerfish) assures me this is both normal and temporary:
2009_0421newcamera0028.jpg

Well, I just got finished running water tests and we're looking good!

Ammonia - 0
Nitrites - Trace amount showing, but I don't really trust AP test kits.
Nitrates - About 20ppm

I may hold off a bit longer for fish to be sure about the nitrites and give myself some time to pull the nitrate levels down, but for the most part the tank is cycled and ready to go. I think within a week or so, I'll begin slowly stocking some hardy fish and maybe try to get my hands on a mushroom or some inexpensive zoas.

Steve0xr said:
The tank is looking good, I wish my 75 hadn't cracked. Anyway how did you go about setting up your sump?

The sump has a chamber for the overflow which contains the Urchin skimmer, it flows into a small refugium area wit some cheato and a bunch of live rock rubble, then flows into the return chamber. I'll probably need to rework the sump a bit when I get a bigger skimmer for the tank, but that's it for now.

We have inhabitants with fins! In addition to the snails & hermit crabs, we've got our first swimming residents of the tank, 2 true percs...

BB13.jpg

BB5.jpg

I am told by my surprisingly superstitious (only when it comes to tanks) husband that it's bad luck to name fish. As a compromise, I have named both of them Bob. Bob, as it happens, is also the name I've given each snail and crab in the tank. I can't have unnamed pets, but this way Eric won't get upset over named fish.

Larissa said:
We have inhabitants with fins! In addition to the snails & hermit crabs, we've got our first swimming residents of the tank, 2 true percs...

I am told by my surprisingly superstitious (only when it comes to tanks) husband that it's bad luck to name fish. As a compromise, I have named both of them Bob. Bob, as it happens, is also the name I've given each snail and crab in the tank. I can't have unnamed pets, but this way Eric won't get upset over named fish.

Nice - bob looks happy with bob...LOL.

beerfish said:
We have about 40 lbs of sand for a 1-1.5" SSB mixed with a bag of crushed substrate. (I'm well aware of the downside to crushed coral, but its a mixed crushed substrate, and the effect is well worth the added maintenance)

so 1.5 + the crushed coral puts you at about 2''? i suggest no sand, less then 1'' sand or 4-6''

No the crushed is just a small amount for effect. The sandbed total is 1-1.5 inches, basically comes up to the trim on the tank. I don't like the look of a BB tank, and have seen too many problems with DSBs.