• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

75 LRFO

wanted to start up a FO tank. going slow due to economy
so far I built the sump 20 gal.L 4 baffles.I'm thinking of putting a canopy on this one and saw all the dyi's and decided to go this route.
equipment to purchase: mini G for skimmer. pentair 3000 for return. cpr.sump inlet holder assembly (filter sock). 2- koralia 2's. thinking 2 coralife aqualights 36" 56.99 each mounted to canopy that would give me 4 t5's and a nice cast of light on the fish

the mini G is just the pump I will be using onanother skimmer. alternative was a taam rio plus w/intake venturi but I never liked rio's

DSC_1244.JPG

tank and sump

Looks to be going along nicely so far. :) Did you do the corner glass box? have you had or used these types before? and is the blue pc for the cover?and eggcrate the top screen? sorry if Im jumping ahead...lol I just got a 125 and need to make it reef ready just not sure which to do

I bought the tank used with the glass corner already installed. no I've never used this type before. the blue plastic (2) pieces are to cover the glass but not convinced I'm using them yet. eggcrate? I just have to clean out the tank I'll be putting on a canopy

Looks good. Question...really nitpicking was checking out the lights and they saw 21W for 36 inch T5 but shouldn't T5 be 39W?  I completely understand it is FO so who really cares but I am just curious.

I got this one for my fresh water tank. They make SW too.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?c=3578+3733+16770&pcatid=16770
Will at AO matched similar price at the time.  Pretty decent fixture for the price comes with splash guard too.  Just a bit more but maybe it is worth it don't know.

They also make a 4 bulb fixture but cheaper to buy two 2s. New product.

that does look like a better light.trying to save money but if I ever decided I want corals and get bored with just fish I'll end up spending more money. the tank is 48" and with the canopy perhaps I should go with retro but then its even more. :-\

You might be able to get the bulbs a bit cheaper, you don't need the max quality bulbs at this point.

tfjpetcenter.com sells the sunlight brand and they have some 48in bulbs for 16-17 bucks?

Ha had to dig in the archives to find this again. tonight I filled the tank and sump with fresh water to test everything.(never had water in this tank) I bought it about a year and a half ago. I dragged it outside and tested just in case. besides tightening the bulkheads and drilling the air hole a little larger it works great.Saturday I get some live rock from reefbones then I'll post some pics.

bought a used t5 fixture with extra bulbs from john. built my own durso.
not sure if I'm putting in a sand bed yet. thinking dsb in sump but probably not necessary.

got the rock from reefbone52. it's beauitiful Mark lots of life in here. even found a large crab which may not be so good. think I can take him out before I scape. right now I just got them in the tank and did a large water change from my 150. still not enough as I only have a 35 gal. bucket for mixing salt. 3/4 full with seio 1100 powerhead for flow (thank you Mark). And a pleasure meeting you. still has some equipment and he gave me some. great guy.

OK I guess I'm not good at documenting progress like I see some people do.
tank is up and running with a niger trigger and blueface angel. both doing great.I will get some pics up soon (I hope) was using Picasso 2 but having problems may have to switch engine. what do most people use now to post pics?