• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

75 or 90 gal upgrade

I was planning a 65 but ive been trying to talk my wife into a 4' tank. If 4' I'm between a 75&90 not sure which yet. I'm pretty close to getting approval so my question is should i buy reef ready or drill for a glassholes overflow. If I go with the overflow should I go with the 1500 gph or the 700. The 1500 is only $20 more and I won't have to worry about dialing back a pump. What does everyone think?

grink

NJRC Member
You'll never regret going to a 120. Two feet of depth leaves more room for rock work, corals and fish. You kids will love it!

Go big or go home, LOL. You'll never regret it. Just get the biggest bad boy you can afford brotha. Go with the RR, another +1 that those kits are a pain.

Uggggggggg. You guys suck. Now I'm thinking about that 120. And my wife is looking at me like I'm completely out of my mind. I'm leaning towards the 75/90 though. Not sure if I'm gonna have the extra funds to get what it's gonna take to do the 120.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
While the deal Megs posted seems pretty good, if your deciding 75 or 90 go 90. Unless it's a deep blue 75 Edge rimless, cuz man those tanks are sweet! But any ways... Both my tanks have Glass-Holes overflows and while the 700 is good on the 40B FOWLR, the 700 on my 65 reef tank doesn't let me push as much water as I want to. Get the 1500 for sure. If I have a chance, I'm going to put another 700 on my 65. The real estate you get from not having the HUGE overflow boxes on the "reef ready" tanks total makes up for the hour or two it takes to drill the tank. G-H all the way!!!

While the deal Megs posted seems pretty good, if your deciding 75 or 90 go 90. Unless it's a deep blue 75 Edge rimless, cuz man those tanks are sweet! But any ways... Both my tanks have Glass-Holes overflows and while the 700 is good on the 40B FOWLR, the 700 on my 65 reef tank doesn't let me push as much water as I want to. Get the 1500 for sure. If I have a chance, I'm going to put another 700 on my 65. The real estate you get from not having the HUGE overflow boxes on the "reef ready" tanks total makes up for the hour or two it takes to drill the tank. G-H all the way!!!

If I could go rimless I would. I found a good deal on MR for a 57 oceananic setup. But my wife won't have it. She just does not like the rimless tanks. As for the overflow, I was surprised most seemed to pick the RR instead. I did the glass holesmon my nano and love it.

Fish Brain

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Im willing to bet that those that choose the RR tanks have never experienced a glass-holes kit. It's kinda like Vortechs, once you have one, there is no going back to regular power heads. Since you have a G-H already, you will never go back to the big bulky overflow again (unless you get a really good deal on a RR ;) ).

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I would go with the 90g, they length and width are the same you just get four extra inches on top. This is good because you will be using most of the same equipment for both. As far as RR vs GH, I have both right now. My 57g rimless is RR and the overflow box is MASSIVE, takes up a lot of room in a small tank. If you have a 120 or bigger I don't think it makes too much of a difference if you have the overflows but in a smaller tank they make a big difference. Our 45g cube has the GH kit and I love it. Takes up no room and it is easy to setup. The overflow that came standard with the 45g cube was either really really narrow so that you could not work in it or took up too much room.

Well it looks like the decision has been made. Called Trop today and they have the Deep Blue tanks on sale lower then the AGA's. The RR 90 is only $50 more then the non RR. And since it is the Deep Blue tank it has the nice slim corner overflow instead of the giant middle one like the AGA. Oh and black silicon. So assuming no issues arise I'll be picking up the tank Thurs. Then a slow build will proceed. Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

One more question though. I absolutely hate the deep blue cabinets. I like the AGA ones a bit more. Are they interchangeable with the RR tanks. I'd build one but I just don't have the tools or skills for that.

I got a email listing the RR as $208. But I've been reading some not so good reviews of the overflow system. I'm really torn here. Hidden reef has a non reef ready AGA tank for $220 but then it would cost another $160 to drill for overflow and returns. I guess I'll just go with the deep blue. Hopefully I can figure out that overflow or find someone who can.