• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

A 25 year personal story, with an odd ending

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
Back in my youth I had dreams of saving people in any way I could. I took the most direct route available and joined the Coast Guard. Upon testing, I qualified for aviation, and after boot camp in Cape May I was off to USCG Aviation Training Center North Carolina. Spent the better part of a year there learning everything from field triage to escaping from a submerged helicopter underwater at night.
Graduated as an airman with avionics tech qualifications, next step navigator, and was sent to my first unit on Otis AFB in Mass.

Continued on the job training there while flying search and rescue. Over the hanger doors were the words "Have to go out, don't have to come back" and there were a few times I thought the second part of that phrase would be fufilled.
Never the less, we went on.

In 1991, a huge Nor'Easter came through. I remember as the storm hit, later to become 'The Perfect Storm', how we were struggling outside the hangers with the wind, prepping the aircraft for what we knew what was coming, getting sleep if we could. With the exception of those married or with family we were all too young and invincible to be thinking of wills or demise. Between fueling and prepping our aircraft we were all laughing about being blown around.

That night and the next few that followed are etched in my memory to this day. Fly, refuel, repair, sleep a few hours, fly, etc.. We we're all exhausted but none of us would stop. Multiple search and rescues, and attempts, including many small fishing boats, the Andrea Gail, and the Satori. The flying conditions were harsh and the support from the surface ships, mainly the Tamaroa, were indispensable (the Tamaroa being a WWII decorated combat tug revamped to a SAR boat). That evening our sister chopper spotted the Satori and began rescue operations with the Tamaroa nearby for support if required.

After refuel and returning to search, word came of a National Guard chopper which had gone down. While we raced to the scene the Tamaroa had already arrived, saving 4 of the 6 crew.

The Gail we never saved, she was lost with all crew. I was on the HU-25 that was the first to spot the wreckage - floating debris including wood and line, and soon after I called a spot of a partially submerged red/orange object. When pressed by the pilot of my impression I reported an unopened survival raft. The co-piolt concurred. We reported debris consistent with catastrophic failure and unopened life raft. We continued the search for survivors for days with the Tamaroa, and the Escanaba, to no avail.
We all got medals for our actions those nights.
Many of us, including myself, felt we didn't deserve them.
Eight were lost on our watch.

Tonight I just read an article about the Tamaroa. She's being retired, and in an interesting way.
She's becoming a reef ship off the coast of NJ.
A place I now call home and a place where I became interested in reef keeping.
Its a fitting end for a ship that spent its career saving lives.

'Perfect Storm' ship will be sunk on NJ reef

Last edited:

kschweer

Administrator
Staff member
Officer Emeritus
Mark, thank you for your service. I read that article a day or two ago and thought it was pretty neat. It's really interesting to hear a story from someone with such close ties to the ship.

Great story Mark,,, really touches the heart!!!! A fitting end to a new beginning,,, and thanks for your service to this country, I never served but have nothing but respect for those who did and those who do,,, this is why I wear a RED SHIRT every Friday to support the troops, as they have our backs we should have there's.... #REDSHIRTFRIDAY... LOOK IT UP,,,,

njtiger24 aquariums

Officer Emeritus
Article Contributor
Back in my youth I had dreams of saving people in any way I could. I took the most direct route available and joined the Coast Guard. Upon testing, I qualified for aviation, and after boot camp in Cape May I was off to USCG Aviation Training Center North Carolina. Spent the better part of a year there learning everything from field triage to escaping from a submerged helicopter underwater at night.
Graduated as an airman with avionics tech qualifications, next step navigator, and was sent to my first unit on Otis AFB in Mass.

Continued on the job training there while flying search and rescue. Over the hanger doors were the words "Have to go out, don't have to come back" and there were a few times I thought the second part of that phrase would be fufilled.
Never the less, we went on.

In 1991, a huge Nor'Easter came through. I remember as the storm hit, later to become 'The Perfect Storm', how we were struggling outside the hangers with the wind, prepping the aircraft for what we knew what was coming, getting sleep if we could. With the exception of those married or with family we were all too young and invincible to be thinking of wills or demise. Between fueling and prepping our aircraft we were all laughing about being blown around.

That night and the next few that followed are etched in my memory to this day. Fly, refuel, repair, sleep a few hours, fly, etc.. We we're all exhausted but none of us would stop. Multiple search and rescues, and attempts, including many small fishing boats, the Andrea Gail, and the Satori. The flying conditions were harsh and the support from the surface ships, mainly the Tamaroa, were indispensable (the Tamaroa being a WWII decorated combat tug revamped to a SAR boat). That evening our sister chopper spotted the Satori and began rescue operations with the Tamaroa nearby for support if required.

After refuel and returning to search, word came of a National Guard chopper which had gone down. While we raced to the scene the Tamaroa had already arrived, saving 4 of the 6 crew.

The Gail we never saved, she was lost with all crew. I was on the HU-25 that was the first to spot the wreckage - floating debris including wood and line, and soon after I called a spot of a partially submerged red/orange object. When pressed by the pilot of my impression I reported an unopened survival raft. The co-piolt concurred. We reported debris consistent with catastrophic failure and unopened life raft. We continued the search for survivors for days with the Tamaroa, and the Escanaba, to no avail.
We all got medals for our actions those nights.
Many of us, including myself, felt we didn't deserve them.
Eight were lost on our watch.

Tonight I just read an article about the Tamaroa. She's being retired, and in an interesting way.
She's becoming a reef ship off the coast of NJ.
A place I now call home and a place where I became interested in reef keeping.
Its a fitting end for a ship that spent its career saving lives.

'Perfect Storm' ship will be sunk on NJ reef

@Mark_C first thank you for your service. I personally never servered but always wanted to (astmas kept me abay). With that I know many people who entered the service (friend in the Navy, friend in the Marines, brother in the Army, friend in the Air Force, grandmother servered in the Army, grandfather servered in the Army). Two things from your story sticks with me. "Have to go out, don't have to come back". I never thought about it before but everyone I know never complain about going. Its something they feel is their 'job'. The other is "felt we didn't deserver them". I again find this to be normal for someone who server. It reminds me about the 911 server dogs, if you don't know what I mean a quick story is they had to put half of them down after they enter into depression cause they weren't finding people alive. Again Mark thank you for your server and in a day of time when most server people are looked down on it means a lot that people will still do the "have to go out, don't have to come back".

Also thanks for sharing the story of the "perfect storm".

Mark_C

Staff member
Officer Emeritus
NJRC Member
The official motto of the USCG is 'Semper Paratus', or, 'Always Ready', a fitting motto for a response service.

But, with the risks of operations, especially in those early days where we (they) would roll out in wooden longboats, and through a written piece of legislation stating the USCG 'HAD' to go out, the motto of 'Have to go out, dont have to come back' was unofficially adopted by the ranks. It started as a snub to the legislation in an odd way. No one in the USCG would ever shirk going out, regardless of conditions, its why we signed up. Even modern day we would be anxious to get airborne or seaborne in hurricanes if there were anyone in trouble.
I mentioned it in the story as it was painted above the hanger doors on the way out to the runways.

BTW, its never referred to as a job so to speak, its just what we did. We'd often say (or adrenaline yell) to each other over comms in a non-optimal situation, 'Gotta go out!' - rest left unsaid, though usually done with a smile, circumstances dictating. It was/is a badge of honor for us. If you ask a Coastie what the USCG motto is they'll say its 'Semper Paratus'. If you follow up with what the real motto is you'll get the other one.

And thanks for all the thanks guys, but its not necessary.

Started as a thread to honor the Tamaroa.
I've been debaring on getting into diving and this may do it for me.