• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

A Tribute and a Farewell to my fallen friend and family member

On Monday we had to say our final farewell to our beloved Simon. In November we had a mass removed, which we (wanted to) believed to be yet another sebaceous cyst. It wasn’t so this time. The growth returned quickly and viciously, only 2 weeks after having the stitches removed. The day after Christmas it opened up, growing and spreading rapidly.

On Monday afternoon we were all by his side. He was our fighter, our miracle dog, our face – with a spirit that never broke. Alex and the boys petted and caressed him one last time. His head rested in my lap, on top of my sweater, I buried my face in his thick, soft coat and whispered loving words into his ear as he took his final breath.

My vet reassured us all that we were absolutely doing the right thing, especially because I had so many doubts about letting him go. The truth is I will never let go. Simon will never really leave us. He won our hearts over by storm 11 years ago, and everyone who had the privilege of knowing his gentle demeanor, his antics, and his sweet personality knows just how very special he was.

Simon, we love you – we miss you – and we will never ever forget you.

---
Wendy

Our Simon 12/29/07
Simon12-29-072.jpg

panmanmatt

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
Wendy,

Words cannot express the sorrow I feel for you and your family right now. What you did took a lot of courage and heart. Simon is in a better place now and his suffering has been replaced with joy and happiness. Just as your memories of him will replace your sorrow with happiness in time.

My condolences to you and the family.

I'm sure Simon was glad that at the end of the day - he was counting his lucky stars to have had such a great family like yours to take care of him.

wendy---
my eyes are filled with tears----having 2 bichons i surely can understand and FEEL your pain and sorrow ----it takes great courage and thoughtfulness to do something thats so painful to us, but eases the pain your beloved simon would be dealing with...it is never easy to do the right thing for a pet that has brought many,many years of happiness into our lives---i hope i am as strong as you are when /if i have to make that decision....
my deepest sympathies to you and your family

steve

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'm so sorry, Wendy. {{{hugs}}} He really was a sweet and very loveable dog.

:'( Wendy,

Sorry to hear of your loss. Times like this, there's not alot that can be said that will comfort you above and beyond what condolences have already been conveyed but know that you're in our thoughts :)

Hang in there and try to :)

Thank you all very, very much for your kindness and understanding.

We have been through this before, 5 years ago, when we lost our Golden. It does NOT get any easier - ever. Truly the hardest decision one will ever have to make, with constant doubts whether you have the right to make such decision. In my heart I know we did the only thing humanely left to do for Simon, but the grief remains the same, and the hole in the heart is ever present.

We have another Berner, "Max", who's been helping us to cope somewhat. But the moment he looks to that familiar spot where Simon used to lay most of the time, you can't help but cry all over again.

---
Wendy

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...