• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Absolutely Fish: Absolutely the nicest!

What a great customer experience last night at Absolutely Fish in Clifton. It’s retailers like AF that keep folks in the hobby. I know everyone tends to say “Oh, they’re ‘absolutely the most expensive’”, but I must say – no, not always true. They have a great selection of healthy fish and now that we’re getting into reef, I learned more in the 45 minutes I was chatting with Todd than anywhere else (NJReefer.org not withstanding). Regarding prices – they have the new small Marineland nano heater for $18.99, while other LFS are charging between $22 and $27. I think we paid about $159 for our good sized Naso Tang (he’s just so handsome), and that price fell in line with other places (and we’ve bought a few other guys – all happy and healthy). They’re not the cheapest place, but I wouldn’t characterize them as taking advantage of the hobbyist. Good folks, willing to take the time to chat and provide advice. Best time to go is during the week – they’re swamped on the weekends!

http://www.absolutelyfish.com/

The times that I have went to AF and Todd was there, were some pretty enjoyable experiences. He might be one of the few who knows what he is talking about there. I know their prices are high on some things, but it seems to me that they have more of a variety in the Northern Jersey Store Competition.

Just my 2 cents.

They also have the midnight madness sale coming up on 8/22. I have been there a couple of times and if you get the early, you can get some great deals. They stock up on some really nice corals for the sale.

reeftank2510 said:
They also have the midnight madness sale coming up on 8/22. I have been there a couple of times and if you get the early, you can get some great deals. They stock up on some really nice corals for the sale.

Too bad I will not be allowed to go to that!

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I had a very nice conversation with Pat. He seems genuinely interested in the success of the hobby and I was happy to listen to his philosophies both from an entrepreneurial standpoint as well as hobbiest.

Edwardw771

NJRC Member
I also spoke to Absolutely Fish, its a nice store. We invited them to the swap and to sponser the club. Lets see if they join us.

If they join, that'd be very nice seeing as how they're the only LFS really close to me that has some amazing stock, but they do have outrageous pricing.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
You have to be sure to take location and overhead into consideration before calling any LFS pricing outrageous. I'm sure everything in that area is more expensive than it is in other locations!

A store with a remote location or small property has less overhead costs than a larger store. You pay the extra to have a store nearby.

I'd give my eye teeth to have an LFS nearby (that was open all weekend and had good coral selections). There isn't an LFS within 30m of where we are.

Phyl said:
I'd give my eye teeth to have an LFS nearby (that was open all weekend and had good coral selections). There isn't an LFS within 30m of where we are.

I agree, there are so few good reef shops around and none are close to me either. Their prices may seem high but they're one of the few stores I go to that has unusual corals & fish. Everybody else may be cheaper but I'm not interested in damsels and yellow tangs.

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Phyl said:
I had a very nice conversation with Pat. He seems genuinely interested in the success of the hobby and I was happy to listen to his philosophies both from an entrepreneurial standpoint as well as hobbiest.

Hey Phyl
Do you know if he reinstated the NJRC discount program?They had canceled it stating they needed to speak to a club official.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
While we did have a very nice conversation, at this point I don't see them supporting NJRC any time in the near future.

That's a shame.

A good relationship with the club would make me more comfortable buying there.

They have a very good selection of livestock, but their expertise is concentrated in a few individuals who aren't always available. If I knew the store had an interest in the club, I would feel a little better about the information given about the livestock.

I'm fortunate to be close to a great store taht is very interested in keeping the NJRC members happy. They won't hesitate to tell you to not buy something that just came in and may not be doing well.

Re: Absolutely Fish: Absolutely the nicest (Midnight Madness around the corner)

Phyl, glad to hear you were speaking with Pat - yes, he's real passionate about the hobby ... does a ton of public speaking I understand, and is real involved in a number of clubs. Absolutely Fish is a sponsor of the Northern Jersey Aquarium Society, and offers their members a discount (of which I am a member also, in addition to NJRC). So, ya never know. Not sure what the conditions of becoming a sponsor are ... but again, price and discount aside ... you'll always hear they have great fish! We recently bought a Lookdown - everyone has been saying they're so hard to care for ... this guy is doing great! AF started me on live Guppies and gave me great advice on how to ween him over to frozen. Worked like a charm. All our fish from them are doing wonderfully (Australian Tusk, Wolf Eel, etc.).

Hey, Midnight Madness is around the corner ... there's a great little 'greasy spoon' next door. Anyone going, be sure to post - maybe we can get an informal get-together going before the sale. It's next Friday, 8-22 @ 9pm (to midnight). More info: http://www.absolutelyfish.com/events/mm08.php

mm08_logo_small.jpg

OK I'll bite, Jonathan why can't you go??

And for my opinion... It's the only store in North NJ with a reasonable selection, but can be a bit pricey. I have no complaints about anything I bought there including 2 very expensive fish, a dracula goby($140) and a blue dot jawfish($150). I will shop there again, but I think the staff lacks personality and can be a little arrogant.

I'll stick to NJ Reefers and Reefland for advise.

Rob

hey i totally agree with your post. i ventured up there to take a look at thier selection. Although i was impressed by there variety, i was turned off by the prices and the staff.. i inquired about a MH bulb and later bought the same exact bulb for 40$ cheaper at Aquatic obsessions

As someone had mentioned somewhere before you have to look at a lot of different things when comparing prices. I would bet their operating costs are much more expensive up there in Clifton than the other store has further south. I don't purchase much from them and are not trying to stick up for them but I will say this, their livestock is top quality and the people that I know who buy livestock from them only speak good words of them. Sometimes you might want to spend a little more for quality. Personally I don't buy from them but I do like going into the store and looking around :)

I shop there all the time while it is a little more expensive you can feel comfortable because they stand behind everything. Pat has a great staff that is knowledgeable. There is always someone there that can answer a question you have. They are heavy into educating their consumers so you don't make a bad choice and buy something you can't keep, or waste money on supplements you don't need. As to pricing North Jersey real estate is pretty high and they have a large staff to keep the shop up to par.

I was there today and they got an huge shipment of corals. IF you have time definitely go check it out this week because they won't be there long.