• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Absolutely Fish

After an expensive bad experience from {Absolutely Fish A.K.A. Got Fish} I said to myself they will only get me once ! Havn't been back since and dont plan on it !

I just got home from window shopping at Absolutely Fish. My god that place is expensive. They had a 5inch gsp frag for $60!!!!!!!!!!!xeina (sp?) for $70!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I guess I am lucky. I found a great LFS and stuck with it. I would never step foot in this place after all these bad posts!

reefsandrotts

NJRC Member
Went there this past weekend and was quite happy when I pulled out my NJRC member card and recieved 15% off my bill.
Help there was good I give them alot of credit dealing with my 3 yr. old son and 5 yo. daughter picking things out,the guy thought it was fun.

I find there store and selection very impressive and they have a lot of help...However, I don't think I spoke to the right person. They could not give me the info I was looking for or even the species of crab I was looking to purchase. I have only been there once because of the distance. My overall impression is good, but I think you really need to know what your looking for and how to select it if you want a positive experience.

Kenny Z.

I've been in this store several times, and they've been very helpful once you can grab ahold of a staff member. I was in 2 days ago, and i was dissapointed with the condition of some of the livestock. They have improved their dry selection, which I have always been impressed with, and their store is always very very clean. Unfortunatly this time i saw several very skinny tangs, and several corals that were receding off their skeletons. There were several "branching" species that only had one live head, and 3 brains that were showing way too much skeleton.

I keep coming back to this place, because i have yet to find somewhere else withing 30 min that compares. I know i haven't been to all of them yet, but i keep throwing others into the mix

R

roncgizmo

I was at AF the other day, My god! live lock that looked like base rock for 10 bucks a lb and 8 bucks for a damsel, Please! I've aways had peacefully fish in my tanks and was thinking about getting a lion fish this time the kid knew ABSOLUTLY
(pun intended) nothing about them and did not seem to want to ask someone else for help. Mail order for me now..lol

R

roncgizmo

Never again will I step foot in that place...

I wanted to get a small part and it was an easy one (got it on eBay)
no help no call back no nothing, also a few days before that I wanted
some information about a fish I was thinking about yeah you guessed it
no help. I've had better help at petco. oh and the price at AF everything is
just to high and if the service was good that would be fine with me.

So where in NNJ is a good place to buy coral?

I would have to agree they are very expensive. I just started heading over to Fish Town USA in ramsey, their fish are not the greatest on the marine side but they have a nice frag tank up now with some decent deals. I got a nice sized monti cap frag for 20 bucks. I also saw some really nice shrooms in their softy tank and some cool zoos

Personally I dont't like that store. I've known them since they were Aquatropics. They are way overpriced and when you walk in the door nobody seems to want to help you. I do find myself buying from them once in a while though. I bounce back and forth between RT4 Aquarium - Elmwood Pk, The Fish Tank - Lodi, Pet Place - RT23 Wayne, and then if I don't find what I am looking for then I go to AF.

I needed 2 T5HO lamps for my system so I call AF and they said they had 48inch tubes. The ones they had were 50 bucks each and they were not HOT5, only the 28 or so watters. I drove over to Fish Town USA they had Aqua medic T5H0 54w actinic lamps for only $32. i know you can get them online for about 25, but with shipping it all seems even.

Definately expensive but I have always had really good luck with their livestock. So far everything that I have bought from them is still alive and well (knock on wood).

Im going there tonight for their midnight madness sale. Even with their high prices, the prices tonight wind up being verry good. Also they are having a sale on alot of dry goods. Its tonight at 9pm-12am.

Have been in the shop several times over the past few months and each experience was a good one.. from receiving good advice re certain species of fish, to buying unusually large nassarius snails which I never saw at any other LFS, to receiving a 15% discount baecause of my NJRC membership. I like this store.

See my comments in the REVIEW section

Dom

I have to agree with most of you on Prices way overpriced .I also shopped there since they were aquatropics.I went there in sept looking for a Hippo tang.First of all there is noone around to help me.I see the Owner Manager was there he walked right past me as I asked him could someone help me get a tang out of the tank.I finally got someone to come over by that time .I was very angery and told the guy forget it I don't want anything.And told him to tell his boss he needs lessons in Manners.He is lucky I didnt put him through the tank lol.Anyway Stay away from them there attitudes suck Big time.I have found some other shops that might not have the selection but service is 10 times better.I would much rather deal with that.Like rt4 or Rainbow or rt23 Butler has a nice small store.