• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acan help

So my acan has been looking weird the last two days. Looks much smaller and it's mouth is looking really weird. Any idea if this looks normal or what's going on?

4fe08addb93c4fe4f2412b33524dcf4d.jpg

looks like something may have picked at the head, possibly to get food out and pissed it off a bit, looks healthy otherwise. all the other heads look fine as well. Nice colors.

Thank you, I keep them blocked off till all the food is gone but I did see a snail next to it yesterday. Hopefully it bounces back.

if it's white and a skeleton, something is eating it, i had that issue with one of my fish, as soon as i removed it, the coral recovered.

The fish don't touch it. I have two clowns and all the do is play with the hammers and sleep in them. The shrimp/crabs/snails is my worry now. I feel like making a cage for the acans so they can live in peace.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
i'd put money on the peppermint shrimp. I got rid of mine, they like to dig into the mouths of lps and rip out any food, along with their insides as well at times. They will also tear apart feather dusters.

art13

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
As a side note i have emeralds in my tank with lps. They have not picked on my corals, the only time i've ever seen one pick on coral was an sps and the tank was not getting fed much, but never saw one on my lps.

i'd put money on the peppermint shrimp. I got rid of mine, they like to dig into the mouths of lps and rip out any food, along with their insides as well at times. They will also tear apart feather dusters.

They have been pretty good citizens but if it's them then I would get rid of them rather than having my acans hurt. Any tips on how I can tell? Or if I should just get rid of them.

I had bad aptasia but it's all gone now. That's why I got them.

Update

Looks like the head closed on itself and you can't see the white middle at all.

Still it's the only head that's hurt, I'm guessing it will die or repair?

Still not sure if I should wait on getting the shrimp a new home or not.

cad28396c1c4bbce4e70433a5b16eab0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Trio91

Administrator
Staff member
I would only pull the shrimp once you r sure it's them doing it. It could be something else bothering em. Do you have a sump?