• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acclimation questions

I got the green light from Kyle that we will be heading to aquatic obsessions to go pick up a gold assessor basslet. Im really excited( and for those of you who know my excitement is a little obnoxious).

Does anyone have any suggestion for a makeshift acclimation box? id also like to know how long should I leave the basslet in the acclimation box for and do I feed them regularly or sparingly or leave them alone ...

So you are not going to first put the fish in a quarantine tank? If so, I would personally skip the acclimation box and add the fish right into the tank after floating the bag in the tank for temperature adjustment. In my opinion the acclimation boxes do more harm than good, the fish will be stressing. A few thing other things I would recommend are:

Add the fish with the lights off
Drip acclimating the fish if the store where you bought it runs low (like .022)

So you are not going to first put the fish in a quarantine tank? If so, I would personally skip the acclimation box and add the fish right into the tank after floating the bag in the tank for temperature adjustment. In my opinion the acclimation boxes do more harm than good, the fish will be stressing. A few thing other things I would recommend are:

Add the fish with the lights off
Drip acclimating the fish if the store where you bought it runs low (like .022)

No I cant afford to run a QT and wouldnt have time to gather the supplies and then break it down when college starts next week.

I have a semi aggressive blenny in the tank I just want to make sure that he wont harm the basslet. If I nix the acclimation box, what method should I use to see if theyll get along without finding out by death?

Hi Jing,
Congrats on the basslet!
You may be able to buy an acclimation box from Aquarium Care Center, I was able to buy this one from them several months ago. You may want to call and ask.
If you can't, you can also consider buying a hermit crab cage from PetCo and using it as a temporary solution.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
These breeder nets work as well.

https://www.google.com/#q=breeder+net

I had never used an acclimation box in the past, but now I use it quite a bit. I have used it on all my wrasses and am glad I did. I used it on the macnelli assesors when I introduced them because they were small and I did not know how the bigger assesors would react to them. Always have something in the box that the fish can hide in. I think a lot of people make the mistake of not giving the new fish a place to hide which causes stress. I have had some fish get stressed regardless, that is why I monitor them as the time goes on. Usually you only need to keep them in there for 2 days max (if there is no aggression shown) and then let them go. I do feed the fish while they are in the box, which is also nice because you can make sure they are getting food and find out what they like.

Kritter keeper. If you want, drill some holes in it for more flow, though you can angle it to try to get enough flow through the top. Could also try zip-tying some eggcrate/light diffuser together. Assuming you're looking for cheapo options, as I usually am, lol.

I'd feed it or at least try to, especially since if it's contained in a box, it should be easy to suck out the uneaten food with a turkey baster or something.

AO sells the two part fast QT meds...I have used them lately and I would suggest them ... for 5 bucks it is a little piece of mind without using QT tank.
I have never used a box but thought I would point that above product out. ACC sells same product.

I use drip method and those two meds. Takes a couple hours.

AO sells the two part fast QT meds...I have used them lately and I would suggest them ... for 5 bucks it is a little piece of mind without using QT tank.
I have never used a box but thought I would point that above product out. ACC sells same product.

Smart.

What kind of blenny?

Sent from my LG-D800 using Tapatalk

It is a linear blenny who also likes to aptaisia!

Hi Jing,
Congrats on the basslet!
You may be able to buy an acclimation box from Aquarium Care Center, I was able to buy this one from them several months ago. You may want to call and ask.
If you can't, you can also consider buying a hermit crab cage from PetCo and using it as a temporary solution.

Thank you, Nikki! Mike was the one who let me know. Im gonna check how much valuepet had theirs for, but I might go with the hermit crab cage since Kyles got a discount.

These breeder nets work as well.

https://www.google.com/#q=breeder+net

I had never used an acclimation box in the past, but now I use it quite a bit. I have used it on all my wrasses and am glad I did. I used it on the macnelli assesors when I introduced them because they were small and I did not know how the bigger assesors would react to them. Always have something in the box that the fish can hide in. I think a lot of people make the mistake of not giving the new fish a place to hide which causes stress. I have had some fish get stressed regardless, that is why I monitor them as the time goes on. Usually you only need to keep them in there for 2 days max (if there is no aggression shown) and then let them go. I do feed the fish while they are in the box, which is also nice because you can make sure they are getting food and find out what they like.

Okay, thanks Mike! I currently feed my fish right now flakes because ive been lazy with my frozen food, but Ill keep up now. Like a pvc pipe in the box right?

Kritter keeper. If you want, drill some holes in it for more flow, though you can angle it to try to get enough flow through the top. Could also try zip-tying some eggcrate/light diffuser together. Assuming you're looking for cheapo options, as I usually am, lol.

I'd feed it or at least try to, especially since if it's contained in a box, it should be easy to suck out the uneaten food with a turkey baster or something.

Unlike my partner in crime and everyone in this community I am really horrible with tools, so I try to stray away from drilling things, but thank you for the suggestion on the kritter keeper. Feed in the box, got it !

Thank you thank you ill definitely pick that up. So im acclimating the little bugger, and then I just follow the instructions? Then from there I just transfer to the box?

You guys were so helpful, thank you so much !