• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

achilles tang help

Guys, I just received one on Friday along with a blonde naso. Immediately, the Naso hid behind the rock work for the first two or three days and the Achilles was more willing to swim around. I flew out to Atlanta for a couple of days, returned on Tuesday evening and i can not find the Achilles...

I spent at least an hour looking around my 90 yesterday and I cannot locate him. I looked all over the floor (a 6 line wrasse made one of my Mathias jump through the eggcrate), but still no signs...

What are the chances of him hiding under the base of my rockwork?? Any experience with this??

I have a scopas tang, Disbar Athias (male), Six line wrasse, maroon clown, sailfin blenny, coris wrasse, hippo tang, some green chromis, and a blonde Naso.

Thanks,
Erik

I have huge pieces of rock, that would be a disaster...

So they do go under rockwork like a wrasse? Good. I'll just wait it out.

There's no way he jumped out of the tank with the eggcrate.

Thanks,

Erik R.

Well I have seen them lay on their side sort of under a rock ledge. I would still think he would have come out a little. Have you tried feeding the tank to lure him out?

He might have died though so I would still check unless you have a cleanup crew that would have eaten him.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
My achilles tang is extremely active and swims around all day. If you have not seen him for a whole day, my guess is that he is dead and under a rock, or very sick and under a rock. Sorry.

My purple chased and beat up my sailfin for an hour after i put him in(the sailfin). He was between the rock and bottom glass for almost 3 days. I thought he was dead. Then one day he was just swimmin around. He wound up dominating the tank.

Phyl

Officer Emeritus
Officer Emeritus
I'll hope for the best. Good luck!

IME when a fish disappears for days on end... I don't see them again. Hopefully your luck is better.

Thanks for giving me hope guys! Still no signs yesterday... I can see the base rock around my whole tank, I don't know where he could be hiding unless he's in the sandbed... my Nitrites are 0, Nitrates 0, this is driving me crazy...

I once found my blue throat trigger inside the overflow. He had been chased often by the Niger trigger and i guess he couldn't take it anymore and took the plunge. he was still alive and was able to get him out with a small net. not easy in 210g due to the height. hes doing great now. oh and the Niger was evicted to more hostile waters!!! good luck.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
I just had a fish disapear on me too, not a fun experience. No spike in nitrates/nitrities or ammonia. Pulled out all the LR (30g tank much easier) and found no trace of said fish. Silver lining: new aquascape that will make the tank easier to clean. Black could: Lost a yellow assesor basslet. Our culprit is the coral beauty who is on the way to a new home.