• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Achilles Tang &Powder Blue Tang together

Hi all.

Picked up food this morning at ACC. They have a bunch of Hawaii fish including 2 Achilles Tangs.

It's one of the fish on my list. And now with Hawaii closing down for ,at best, a few years, may be my only shot at having the fish.

I was told the Powder blue and the Achilles will not get along

I am generally ok siding with trying the pair then not but didn't want to be impulsive.

Your thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

radiata

NJRC Member
They should both be OK in a 300 Gallon tank. That said, Achilles are notoriously difficult to keep alive, and Powder Blues are Ich Magnets, especially when they are stressed.

Not the best combo both in the same family. I have had better luck with two tangs that are dissimilar. That said you have a big tank so if you have a lot of places to hide give it a try just be prepared for the worst.

ecam

President
Staff member
Board of Directors
NJRC Member
I love both those fish. But Old adage. That has saved me. Every time I contemplated this.

I have the blue in frag tank and the Achilles in the display. So I'm speaking from experience here.

Would you risk a 330 fish for a 60 dollar fish ?

Your lucky if they eat. None the fish I got from ACC ever ate they all staved to dead good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If AO is cheaper then make the drive Will's fish are IMHO superior.

Will is hands down my favorite go to fish purchase. I love the fact that he labels how long the fish have been there.

radiata

NJRC Member
Not the best combo both in the same family. I have had better luck with two tangs that are dissimilar. That said you have a big tank so if you have a lot of places to hide give it a try just be prepared for the worst.

Sorry, I was being facetious (holy cr@p! I spelled that word correctly the first time!) about the 300G tank. I actually have no idea what size tank the poster intended to put these fish in. I think putting both in anything less than a 180 is just an accident waiting to happen...

radiata

NJRC Member
Because the achilles tang fish mouth, size very small, food the size cut to very small for the fish eating.

Hmmm... maybe you've found the reason they are generally described with the "Care Level: Expert Only" notation. Is your caveat for general reef fish foods, or for the herbivorous food they require?

in Hawaii Yellow, Kole, Achilles and Convict tangs are all there and together. This is especially true with koles/yellows - there are plenty of pics in the wild of them together. Example:
Theyareyellowandpurpletangstheyareherbivoresthat_c5904db55f1fd9f7ae10429fb4cd92b1_zpsths9hcsu.jpg

now you just need the turtle. LMAO

As an aside I had a Kole and Achilles together. I had the kole first (model citizen) and added the more aggressive Achilles later. The achilles (at the time) was slightly smaller. They flared at one another for a day and after that were never far apart from each other. Sadly I lost all my fish during hurricane sandy.

While it shouldn't be terrible, I would have a plan if you go that route. How would you get one of them out? Where would the one you remove go? I for one a big believer in 'If the Tang eats for a week at the store, grab it'