• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

achilles tang

I was just wondering if anyone has this fish. if so would you have any tips on getting this fish to eat. I have tried brine with mysis. I have also tried garlic extreme. And last but not least I have tried rods food.Thanks in advance for any helpful tips.

Mark G

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
I have had one from Aq Ob for about 6 months. I made sure he was eating at the store before purchasing him, which he was. He is thriving and loves PE mysis, and Nori or any dried seaweed. Good luck!

alge sheets will be my next attempt. don't really want to stress him out anymore today. he is picking at the alge on my rock so we will see. thank you all.

How long have you had him for? Just keep tryin a variety of foods. Hang a piece of romaine in there, he might get interested in it. All my tangs loved it! And it Can stay in there forever and doesn't pollute your tank

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Nickjr000 said:
How long have you had him for? Just keep tryin a variety of foods. Hang a piece of romaine in there, he might get interested in it. All my tangs loved it! And it Can stay in there forever and doesn't pollute your tank

Nick, I would avoid the romaine lettuce, better to use something from the ocean like nori or dried seaweed. This is a quote from bob fenner about his thoughts on romaine for tangs:

"I'd really avoid Romaine lettuce. It has very little nutritional value for marine fishes, can potentially leach nitrate into your water, and is simply not as healthy for your fish as green items of marine origin, such as microalgae, Nori, or my favorite macroalgae, Gracilaria, which Zebrasoma tangs just freak out over! Give it a try"

I give them the nori too but they love the romaine. they pick at it more and one doesn't run off with it as easy. Just rinse it off good and put it in. Mine eat it so fast that I'm not worried about anything leaching into the water. I know a lot of veterans that use it as well. That's the first I've heard of nitrate leaching into the water from it. Then again, a lot of the frozen stuff we feed tests high for nitrates and should be rinsed. I know it doesn't have too many nutrients in it but they get plenty from the other foods. Same as when we eat it it's mostly water. But if the fish are happy I'm happy!

Nickjr000 said:
I give them the nori too but they love the romaine. they pick at it more and one doesn't run off with it as easy. Just rinse it off good and put it in. Mine eat it so fast that I'm not worried about anything leaching into the water. I know a lot of veterans that use it as well. That's the first I've heard of nitrate leaching into the water from it. Then again, a lot of the frozen stuff we feed tests high for nitrates and should be rinsed. I know it doesn't have too many nutrients in it but they get plenty from the other foods. Same as when we eat it it's mostly water. But if the fish are happy I'm happy!

I think you missed the main point, "It has very little nutrional value." ;)

Did you read my whole post blange? I said they get plenty of nutrients from the other foods. It seems to make them happy and occupies them so i give it to them . Like a treat.

Nickjr000 said:
Did you read my whole post blange? I said they get plenty of nutrients from the other foods. It seems to make them happy and occupies them so i give it to them . Like a treat.

I guess I'm a little too focused on proper nutrition lately since I've been on a doctor supervised diet for 3 months. I just don't see the sense of letting them fill up on something that does no good for them. If they finish the nori, let them pick at your rockwork for nuisance algae. If they are eating romaine, then they aren't doing tank maintenance or getting any nutrition which seems like a waste of time to me. Just my humble opinion.

i picked it up on friday. I have tried almost everything. I am gonna try to soak some nori in garlic extreme and see if he will get that. thanks for the advise. wish me luck. I went into this knowing that they are very hard to get to eat, so I am hoping for the best. thanks again.

I know. I had a beautiful purple tang in my tank. I took him out and replaced him with the Achilles. The purple was simply amazing. He ate like a champ and looked flawless. A truly beautiful fish. The reason I opted to getting him out was because he was a real bully. None of my other fish could or would come out. I feed with a net which during feeding time he would swim right in, so being able to get him out was never a concern. I was waiting for the right fish to do this so when I saw the Achilles I took the opportunity to make the swap.a choice which I thought I would regret.but at this point he is eating alge off a piece of pvc. I have one soaking in garlic now which i was gonna use next to try to get him to eat. I know that they are very aggressive fish but I am really not planning to put any other fish in my setup, other than a clown fish which I am hoping to pair. I was worried that the tang was not going to eat. I know the rules behind buying a fish, making sure they are eating in the store, but I took it right upon arrival at the fish store. I figured he would do best going directly into my reef setup rather then in a community tank at the fish store. Its been a while since I have tried to add any fish so it had me a little worried. THANK YOU for the advise and the helpful tips. I will do my best to post a picture of the fish along with a FTS.

IMG_0466.jpg

he is still very shy but I will work on getting a better more up close picture