• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acrilic to Glass

silicon1, you can use, but remember that acrilic to glass dont bound, so it may come apart at 1 point, try to get glass if you can, jmho

Gabe

I made a sump out of a 20 gallon long. I called a local glass shop and they cut the baffels for me to size out of glass for about 12 bucks while I waited.

I tried acrylic first, but it bowed and flexed under the water pressure too much.

Give a glass shop a call and see what you can get.

That is a great idea. I never thought about calling a glass place but I KNEW that I did not want to cut my own glass! Thanks for the input.

If I wanted to bond glass to glass I would just use a normal silocone, correcT?

i also got some glass at Home Depot, Front Door window replacements for cheap for my baffles, they need a little trimming thats it!

you have to be careful with the silicone, silicone II have a quimical to prevent mold, and algae, so thats not good, i think the silicone I is the one that is pure silicone, just read the back of the bottle

Gabe

jazzsam said:
That is a great idea. I never thought about calling a glass place but I KNEW that I did not want to cut my own glass! Thanks for the input.

If I wanted to bond glass to glass I would just use a normal silocone, correcT?

Hey Jazz, quite frankly, I didn't want to take the chance with silicone. Lowes has a tube of silicone that specifically says "Aquarium Silicone" on it for around $3.00. When you are talking about pennies in price difference, why take the chance? That's what I used.

Oh, and when you call the glass house, ask them if they can round or "polish" the edges for you. Some will, some won't, some will charge. It will make the flow over the baffles that much easier. My glass house did it for no extra charge. (of course, I struck up conversation first and the old guy that runs the place was facinated about the project I was using the glass for! Sometimes that helps too! LOL! )

Wow, I am really glad that I asked these questions. I have been learning a lot. This is the first "glass" project I have worked on and I am worried about screwing up.