• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acro crabs

Many might think this is weird.but they are my favorite symbiotic relationship in the hobby. I just think they are so cool. Does anyone know a place that sells these? The one I had died when I lost my sps

Live Aquaria has them occasionally. Basically you have to sign up to be notified and they will send an email when they come in. I just recently got an email maybe two weeks ago. You can check but I'd bet they are out now.

Live Aquaria has them occasionally. Basically you have to sign up to be notified and they will send an email when they come in. I just recently got an email maybe two weeks ago. You can check but I'd bet they are out now.

Thanks.john $15 seems a little steep and they are colored. I heard only the whites are safe?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
The ones on Divers Den are reef safe. We have tacked them on to order from DD and been very happy with them. They are also Nikki's favorite invert as well. If you have a good LFS near you, talk to them when they get SPS shipments in. We have gotten them from trop in the past when they brought colonies in and we asked them to put a couple acro crabs aside for us.

Sunny

NJRC Member
Article Contributor
I have one in almost every SPS colony. The ones with black or brown claws are not friendly. However I have never seen them leave the colony.
The ones with white, yellow, pink claws are nice.

I also had a gorilla crab come in on a acro colony. I took him out as he was eating the inside of the coral. Unfortunately for me I did not notice another gorilla that came in sometime later. He now snacks on my conches - has a expensive taste :rolleyes:.

Sunny

Some acro crabs have color patterns similar to that of their original host coral and can be quite brightly colored, so don't be scared by color alone. Look for crabs with elongated claws with thin tips. They should have smooth shells, without any "hairyness" to them. As Sunny pointed out, Gorilla crabs will hide in acro colonies (and then wreak havoc), so do be sure you have a safe crab before you dive in.

When I get my colonies in I usually give them away to anyone who wants them. Bc when I dip the colonies before they went into my prop tank it would basically kill any occupants on the coral.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

When I get my colonies in I usually give them away to anyone who wants them. Bc when I dip the colonies before they went into my prop tank it would basically kill any occupants on the coral.

I will buy a few and some sps if your ready yet, glad to see you active again. Let me know asap

Got two today. Bought two little mini colonies of sps. One is in my build thread. The other is gray and white. No black bar across the eyes. Should I sump him?

Got two today. Bought two little mini colonies of sps. One is in my build thread. The other is gray and white. No black bar across the eyes. Should I sump him?

Grey and white is ok. Black tip claws or fuzzy looking=bad!

I just finished the academy yesterday! So now I am not staying in sea girt base 5 days a week(yes all day and night) so now I can finally get back to what I love. And have been missing for a while.

Grey and white is ok. Black tip claws or fuzzy looking=bad!

I just finished the academy yesterday! So now I am not staying in sea girt base 5 days a week(yes all day and night) so now I can finally get back to what I love. And have been missing for a while.

Awesome thanks. Idk what for but congrats!

Not trooper. State corrections. Troopers are the best at what they do were the best at what we do! Thanks

Here's the other guy.
5ymy4e9e.jpg