• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acros STN'ing and RTN'ing

I'm having problems with the SPS in my tank. Mainly acros. I have 3 that are STN'ing and 2 that RTN'd. All this has happened over the past week. I'm stumped and definitely do not want to lose these pieces. The only change in my tank is that in the past month I've gotten a lot of corraline algae. Other than that nothing is different. Water parameters: cal: 370 mag:1400 Alk:9.8 Nitrate:0 phosphate: 0.00

Lostinthedark

NJRC Member
Have you changed out your GFO recently. I was just reading a bunch of post on RC where adding too much GFO or not rinsing it well have caused such issues.

What kind of lights are you using? I had a long issue with sps in my tank and after doing a lot of reading found that if your water is too clean and your lights are too strong, you will starve your corals. If you look at the hardcore zeovit tanks none of them run MH and majority use t5's but still add supplements to replace some of the nutrients thats being stripped out of the water.

dnov99

FRAG SWAP VENDOR
Agreed with above. I would raise the calcium to 420 and lower the alk to 8.5 additionally, but your current levels wouldnt cause RTN/STN. I think you may be running too much GFO and stripping everything from the water.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
+1 to all above. Also would check for pests (red bugs and AEFWs). Has your alk been steady there or did it swing there? Do you dose anything for SPS?

I am running t5's. I dont dose anything for sps specifically. Alk was at 9.5 last check two weeks ago. I think i might be running too much gfo and stripping nutrients.