• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acrylic or glass

Want to grade looking to a 300 gallon setup. Debating. Acrylic or glass.
I want durability, clarity, longevity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DangerDave

NJRC Member
For my most recent tank (160) I went with glass. I wanted to limit the chance of scratches....

Good luck!

Dave

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Each material has its strength and weaknesses. What sort of system are you building out, what are the dimensions, where is it going, what are you planning on putting in it? Once you know what you really want to do with it, it will make the choice easier.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Barebottom or sand? How many viewing angles? In wall or stand alone?

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
One of the major drawback to acrylic is that is can scratch more easily than glass. So something to think about if you want sand. Three sided viewing, I personally like the low iron (starphire) glass as it is just really clear and nice. Have you gotten quotes on building a tank yet? There can be a big price difference between the two. I think those dimensions are roughly that of a 300DD tank which is awesome because it is a stock tank and you don't have to get it custom built (custom always adds to cost).

The major appeals for acrylic is that is does not break and it is lighter. With a basement setup you kind of mitigate both of those problems.
Glass is more readily available, you can get the starfire (acrylic can get a haze over time) and it scratches less. It is also heavier but again in a basement should not be an issue for you.

I would look at the some of the standard glass ones, price them out vs a custom glass, vs a custom acrylic and go from there.

Yeah the price of glass and acrylic is night and day. Acrylic tank and stand Is an extra 2 grand compared with glass. The 300 is starphire front glass. Acrylic would take 6-8 weeks to build Out of Florida

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk