• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Acrylic Sump

Has anyone built their own sump out of acrylic? I am thinking of attempting a custom sump for my 60 cube I am going to set up. It would be about 20x20. The sump I have now does not have a refugium which I would like to run. Let me know if you have worked with acrylic and your experience. Also if anyone has suggestions for a layout feel free to share.

I built My own frag tank out of acrylic I bought at home depot. I have a a new acrylic saw blade in the table saw and I still had to use the jointer to get the edges smooth enough to be glued. If you do not have a jointer plan to sand the edges with 600 grit sand paper to take the saw marks out.

As far as building it I have found that assembling the whole thing with with painters tape and gluing the side panels to the base will allow you to put some weight on top of the side walls to make sure the joints are the closest possible.then just glue the sides to each other.

I found a guy in PA who's going to build me a 20x20 sump with refugium for only $250 shipped. Should see it in about 2 weeks.

I found a guy in PA who's going to build me a 20x20 sump with refugium for only $250 shipped. Should see it in about 2 weeks.

Could you possibly share the name. I'm looking to get a frag tank built but it needs to be custom sized.

PA Guy

Could you possibly share the name. I'm looking to get a frag tank built but it needs to be custom sized.

Jgraz I had a 2nd frag tank built and Im very pleased with it ( twice as big as the one you saw when you came over)
also got it from a guy in pa from ebay
His ID is hunter187654321
This is what I got but he will custom build whatever you want

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150959449282&ssPageName=ADME:X:eRTM:US:1123

What size tank are you looking for?

Not sure of exact size yet. I'm waiting for my cabinet that will go next to my DT. It's gonna be somewhere in the 21" sq range. But I want to make sure that I use all space avail to me, that's why I'm waiting for the moment. Thank for the link. I'll check him out.

Do you think it is worth making the sump the same size as the cabinet or should I leave an inch or two space??