• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adding a copperband w/ current fishload

I have a 120gallon 4x2x2. I have an infestation of featherdusters. I would like to add a small 2" copperband butterfly to take care of the problem. I know it'***** or miss that it will even do anything.

I also have 2 anemones. I'm not worried about them as they are hosted by 2 clowns and they've been with me for over a year and can take care of defending the anemone.

My real problem is I'm worried about my Achilles Tang (5") and Desarjini Tang (5") who are both well established and haven't seen a new fish in a few months(other than really small gobys). I'm afraid they will chase the little guy and stress him to death.

Do you think that a 2" butterfly is small enough that they will ignore him or do you think size doesn't matter and he'll get harrassed no matter what?

Mike

I've seen a Heniochus Fly eat those dusters, but it will likely eat other types of polyps, perhaps those on some SPS, I don't know. So be careful, you've got a healthy tank with great corals.

Dom

Mike didn't I see that you were setting up a coral tank and were moving things to there and re-aquascaping? why dont you put him in after you take things out for a while and see if he eats those things

reeferwanabe said:
Mike didn't I see that you were setting up a coral tank and were moving things to there and re-aquascaping? why dont you put him in after you take things out for a while and see if he eats those things

I'm thinking of doing that as well but I'm afraid to keep my fish in a 58 gallon tank for too long. I'm very scared of all the things I'm about to do.

Transporting all my corals, transporting my fish, taking my rock out, cleaning the rock, reaquascaping, losing my sand bed, then transfering everything back.

I'm just worried I'm gonna lose something that i really don't wanna lose... like my achellis, helfichi, or watanabe... or some LE corals. :-\

I have 4 pepermints in there now and they don't really take care of them. They are small but they are dense... they're everywhere and grow like aptasia. I would rather have aptasia at this point.

Did you look up a Coris Wrasse? They'll go after all types of worms and other pests. You run the risk of them going after the smaller peppermints, but IMO, I'd rather loose shrimp then watch a butterfly go bad and eat up expensive zoas. Plus, there are some pretty cool looking coris wrasses out there.

Good idea Jonathan. I'll try that first. I've been eyeing a yellow coris wrasse. If they go after the dusters then that would be perfect.

Any luck with the wrasse or Copperband? I was thinking of a Copperband as well, but I am leary as well.

Eric

This is the same reason why I got my copperband. They are a hit or miss fish though, you have to get one that is eating frozen or prepared food in the LFS. I had an initial infestation of some small featherdusters, hydroids and two to three aptaisias. The fish took care of that, but am now finding it a challenge to keep him well fed in the tank as the tangs are too quick on the food, so he just kinda lurks away. He is constantly searching for nooks and crannies though, so he's gotta be picking on something.

Heniochus' do munch on SPS polyps every now and then, they pick at zoos and LPS's too.

yeah copperbands def eat zoanthids. I had one that ate about 12 heads in a matter of 4 hours. I thought he would have been filled up after that but he started attacking my other colonies! be careful!

I have a copperband in my reef tank with inverts, clams and tons of zoas, no problems at all. I never see him peck at anything other than the rocks and apistasia.

I think the CBB will not do well introduced after the busy tangs are already in the tank. Most have a hard time acclimating to prepared foods. I think looking at another solution would be better.