• Folks, if you've recently upgraded or renewed your annual club membership but it's still not active, please reach out to the BOD or a moderator. The PayPal system has a slight bug which it doesn't allow it to activate the account on it's own.

Adding Potassium

I was advised that adding potassium would enhance (or show, I mean fergodsake...) the blue colors of my SPS. I bought an ESV solution of potassium iodide and started adding that. Anybody else dose potash, and have you seen any results?

Jim, I use Potassium once a week. I make the solution myself, using Brightwell Aquatics powdered potassium. Been doing it for about one month now, and I "think" I notice an improvement in the blues. :)

JerseyWendy said:
Jim, I use Potassium once a week. I make the solution myself, using Brightwell Aquatics powdered potassium. Been doing it for about one month now, and I "think" I notice an improvement in the blues. :)
What does it get mixed with? Just water?

Jabis, what product do you dose? I'm a little foggy on the whole potassium / potassium iodide/ iodine thing.

i use the brightwells potassium but i will switch over to the zeovit because of the concentration. I've noticed alot of the brightwells products are not very concentrated. if you follow the directions on the bottle for the amino's I would go through it in a week. where as zeovit or elos products you are using drops instead of ML's

Jim

I am just starting to dose potasium as well and sil getting my head around how best to do it for my system.
But, short term, I think I see a responce.

That said, in the case of almost any trace element, I always see a little responce when I try dosing any key element especially when my corals aren't at top apperence to begin with.

... and I am there now . :-\

Jabis96 said:
i use the brightwells potassium but i will switch over to the zeovit because of the concentration. I've noticed alot of the brightwells products are not very concentrated. if you follow the directions on the bottle for the amino's I would go through it in a week. where as zeovit or elos products you are using drops instead of ML's

Brightwell's Postassion is one of the most concentrated on the market if memory serves me right.

I've noticed an INTENSE blue change since I began using it a while back.

Is Brightwell's Postassion the powder version? I'am also in the need of making my blues more intense.
:)

You can either get it as a powder or in liquid form. But remember, if you get the powder, you have to make your own stock solution, which is a piece of cake.

I think you have to mail order Zeovit, but Aqauatic Obsessions has a nice selection of Brightwell products, and gives a club discount. :)

I have been using the brightwell. I watch my blue montis and dose a little more if they start fading. I use a smaller dose daily.

mnat

Officer Emeritus
Staff member
Jcurry@wesketch said:
I hang a banana in my sump, but I haven't really seen and response. Maybe I'll try peeling the next one.

This really only works when fish get cramps after a strenuous swim.